(a) The department may establish an emergency medical services patient care information system. If the department collects information on emergency medical services patient care, the department shall establish a format for the data collection. The purpose of the system is to
Terms Used In Alaska Statutes 18.08.015 - Patient information system
- person: includes a corporation, company, partnership, firm, association, organization, business trust, or society, as well as a natural person. See Alaska Statutes 01.10.060
(1) collect data on the incidence, severity, and causes of trauma injuries;
(2) integrate this data on trauma injuries with information available from other public and private sources on trauma injuries; and
(3) improve the delivery of prehospital and hospital emergency medical services.
(b) A person, organization, or government agency that provides a prehospital emergency medical service through a certificate issued under this chapter shall participate in the system by making available to the department the minimum data requested in a format that is compatible with the format developed by the department to implement (a) of this section. The minimum data must include the
(1) type of medical emergency or nature of the call;
(2) response time; and
(3) prehospital treatment provided.
(c) A hospital that provides emergency medical services shall make available to the department an abstract of the records of all patients admitted to the hospital’s trauma and general surgery services for trauma care. The abstracts must be in a format that is compatible with the format developed by the department under (a) of this section.
(d) The department shall consult with the Alaska Council on Emergency Medical Services in designing, implementing, and revising the system.
(e) The department may delegate the responsibility for collecting data under this section to other public agencies or to private persons on contract to the department.
(f) In this section, “system” means the emergency medical services patient care information system established under this section.