(a) An association authorized by AS 18.55.996 (a) to form a regional housing authority is given the authority to form a regional electrical authority. There is created with respect to each of the associations named in AS 18.55.996 (a) a public body corporate and politic as a political subdivision of the state to function in the operating areas of the individual associations. Each authority may exercise all powers conferred by this chapter.

Terms Used In Alaska Statutes 18.57.020 - Creation of authorities

  • municipality: means a political subdivision incorporated under the laws of the state that is a home rule or general law city, a home rule or general law borough, or a unified municipality. See Alaska Statutes 01.10.060
  • state: means the State of Alaska unless applied to the different parts of the United States and in the latter case it includes the District of Columbia and the territories. See Alaska Statutes 01.10.060

(b) A regional electrical authority may not transact business or exercise powers granted to it until the governing body of the association has, by resolution, declared there is a need for the authority to function, given it the authority to function, and appointed persons to serve as the board of commissioners of the authority. The number of members of the board of commissioners, their terms of office, and the filling of vacancies in office shall be determined by resolution of the governing body of the association.

(c) The regional electrical authority has jurisdiction to operate in all or part of the operating area of the individual association as determined by resolution of the governing body of the association. The governing body may, by resolution, add to or subtract from the area served. The authority may operate within the service area of a certificated rural electrical cooperative or within the corporate limits of a municipality only with consent, by resolution, of the governing body of the municipality or cooperative; however, if an authority is operating within an area that becomes part of a municipality or has a certificate of convenience and necessity from the former Alaska Public Utilities Commission or the Regulatory Commission of Alaska to operate in an area that becomes part of a municipality, consent is not necessary.

(d) A municipality, electrical cooperative, or other provider of electrical service may transfer all or part of its electrical system including, without limitation, lands and rights in land, equipment, and certificates or franchises, to a regional electrical authority by resolution of the governing board upon terms agreed upon with the authority; however, approval by resolution of the board of commissioners of the authority shall be obtained. Unless otherwise provided by law other approvals to transfers are not required.