In this chapter, unless the context otherwise requires:
Terms Used In Arizona Laws 41-2801
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Person: includes a corporation, company, partnership, firm, association or society, as well as a natural person. See Arizona Laws 1-215
1. "Committed youth" or "youth" means a person who has been committed according to law to the department of juvenile corrections for supervision, rehabilitation, treatment and education and who is either:
(a) at least fourteen years of age and under eighteen years of age.
(b) Subject to retained jurisdiction pursuant to section 8-202, subsection H.
2. "Department" means the department of juvenile corrections.
3. "Director" means the director of the department of juvenile corrections.
4. "Educational system" means the state educational system for committed youth.
5. "Secure care" means confinement in a facility that is completely surrounded by a locked and physically secure barrier with restricted ingress and egress.