Arizona Laws > Title 12 > Chapter 5 > Article 4 – Successor Asbestos-Related Liability
Current as of: 2022 | Check for updates | Other versions
|§ 12-559.01||Asbestos-related actions; successor corporation liability; applicability|
|§ 12-559.02||Establishing the fair market value of total gross assets|
|§ 12-559.03||Adjustment of the fair market value of total gross assets|
Terms Used In Arizona Laws > Title 12 > Chapter 5 > Article 4 - Successor Asbestos-Related Liability
- Assets: (1) The property comprising the estate of a deceased person, or (2) the property in a trust account.
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Corporation: means a corporation for profit, including a domestic corporation organized under the laws of this state or a foreign corporation organized under laws other than the laws of this state. See Arizona Laws 12-559
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Fair market value: The price at which an asset would change hands in a transaction between a willing, informed buyer and a willing, informed seller.
- including: means not limited to and is not a term of exclusion. See Arizona Laws 1-215
- Indemnification: In general, a collateral contract or assurance under which one person agrees to secure another person against either anticipated financial losses or potential adverse legal consequences. Source: FDIC
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Liabilities: The aggregate of all debts and other legal obligations of a particular person or legal entity.
- Obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period.
- Person: includes a corporation, company, partnership, firm, association or society, as well as a natural person. See Arizona Laws 1-215
- Settlement: Parties to a lawsuit resolve their difference without having a trial. Settlements often involve the payment of compensation by one party in satisfaction of the other party's claims.
- Successor: means a corporation that assumes or incurs or has assumed or incurred successor asbestos-related liabilities, that is a successor and that became a successor before January 1, 1972 or is any of that successor corporation's successors. See Arizona Laws 12-559
- Successor asbestos-related liabilities: means any liabilities, whether known or unknown, asserted or unasserted, absolute or contingent, accrued or nonaccrued, liquidated or nonliquidated or due or to become due, that are related in any way to asbestos claims and that were assumed or incurred by a corporation as a result of or in connection with a merger or consolidation, or the plan of merger or consolidation related to the merger or consolidation with or into another corporation, or that are related in any way to asbestos claims based on the exercise of control or the ownership of stock of the corporation before the merger or consolidation. See Arizona Laws 12-559
- Transferor: means a corporation from which successor asbestos-related liabilities are or were assumed or incurred. See Arizona Laws 12-559