Arizona Laws > Title 12 > Chapter 6 > Article 6.1 – Libel and Slander Correction and Resulting Damages
Current as of: 2022 | Check for updates | Other versions
Terms Used In Arizona Laws > Title 12 > Chapter 6 > Article 6.1 - Libel and Slander Correction and Resulting Damages
- Action: includes any matter or proceeding in a court, civil or criminal. See Arizona Laws 1-215
- Actual malice: means that state of mind arising from personal spite, hatred, or ill will toward the plaintiff, but such a state of mind occasioned by a good faith belief on the part of the defendant in the truth of the libelous publication or broadcast at the time it is published or broadcast shall not constitute actual malice. See Arizona Laws 12-653.01
- Complaint: A written statement by the plaintiff stating the wrongs allegedly committed by the defendant.
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Defendant: In a civil suit, the person complained against; in a criminal case, the person accused of the crime.
- Exemplary damages: means damages which may, in the discretion of the court or jury, be recovered in addition to general and special damages for the sake of example and by way of punishing a defendant who has made the publication or broadcast with actual malice. See Arizona Laws 12-653.01
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- newspaper: means any publication which may be mailed at the second-class rates established by the United States post office. See Arizona Laws 12-653.01
- Plaintiff: The person who files the complaint in a civil lawsuit.
- Property: includes both real and personal property. See Arizona Laws 1-215
- Special damages: means all damages which the plaintiff alleges and proves he has suffered in respect only to his property, business, trade, profession or occupation. See Arizona Laws 12-653.01
- United States: includes the District of Columbia and the territories. See Arizona Laws 1-215