|Article 1||General Provisions||28-5201 – 28-5204|
|Article 2||Regulation||28-5231 – 28-5245|
Terms Used In Arizona Laws > Title 28 > Chapter 14
- Amendment: A proposal to alter the text of a pending bill or other measure by striking out some of it, by inserting new language, or both. Before an amendment becomes part of the measure, thelegislature must agree to it.
- Appropriation: The provision of funds, through an annual appropriations act or a permanent law, for federal agencies to make payments out of the Treasury for specified purposes. The formal federal spending process consists of two sequential steps: authorization
- Bus: means a motor vehicle designed for carrying sixteen or more passengers, including the driver. See Arizona Laws 28-101
- Combination of vehicles: means a truck or truck tractor and semitrailer and any trailer that it tows but does not include a forklift designed for the purpose of loading or unloading the truck, trailer or semitrailer. See Arizona Laws 28-101
- Commercial motor vehicle: means a motor vehicle or combination of motor vehicles that is designed, used or maintained to transport passengers or property in the furtherance of a commercial enterprise on a highway in this state, that is not exempt from the gross weight fees as prescribed in section 28-5432, subsection B and that includes any of the following:
(a) A single vehicle or combination of vehicles that has a gross vehicle weight rating of twenty-six thousand one or more pounds and that is used for the purposes of intrastate commerce. See Arizona Laws 28-5201
- Department: means the department of transportation acting directly or through its duly authorized officers and agents. See Arizona Laws 28-101
- Department: means the department of child safety. See Arizona Laws 8-201
- Dependent: A person dependent for support upon another.
- Director: means the director of the department of transportation. See Arizona Laws 28-101
- Donor: The person who makes a gift.
- Driver: means a person who drives or is in actual physical control of a vehicle. See Arizona Laws 28-101
- Driver license: means a license that is issued by a state to an individual and that authorizes the individual to drive a motor vehicle. See Arizona Laws 28-101
- Evidence: includes both of the following:
(a) A display on a wireless communication device of a department-generated driver license, nonoperating identification license, vehicle registration card or other official record of the department that is presented to a law enforcement officer or in a court or an administrative proceeding. See Arizona Laws 28-101
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- Grantor: includes every person from or by whom an estate or interest in real property passes, in or by a deed. See Arizona Laws 1-215
- Hazardous material: means a material, and its mixtures or solutions, that the United States department of transportation determines under 49 Code of Federal Regulations is, or any quantity of a material listed as a select agent or toxin under 42 Code of Federal Regulations part 73 that is, capable of posing an unreasonable risk to health, safety and property if transported in commerce and that is required to be placarded or marked as required by the department's safety rules prescribed pursuant to chapter 14 of this title. See Arizona Laws 28-101
- Hazardous waste: means a material that is subject to the hazardous waste manifest requirements of the department of environmental quality or the United States environmental protection agency. See Arizona Laws 28-5201
- highway: means the entire width between the boundary lines of every way if a part of the way is open to the use of the public for purposes of vehicular travel. See Arizona Laws 28-101
- Manufacturer: means a person who transports or causes to be transported or shipped by a motor vehicle a material that is represented, marked, certified or sold by a person for transportation in commerce. See Arizona Laws 28-5201
- Manufacturer: means a person engaged in the business of manufacturing motor vehicles, trailers or semitrailers. See Arizona Laws 28-101
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- Month: means a calendar month unless otherwise expressed. See Arizona Laws 1-215
- Motor carrier: means a person who operates or causes to be operated a commercial motor vehicle on a public highway. See Arizona Laws 28-5201
- Motor vehicle: means any vehicle, machine, truck tractor, trailer or semitrailer that is propelled or drawn by mechanical power and that is used on a public highway in the transportation of passengers or property in the furtherance of a commercial enterprise. See Arizona Laws 28-5201
- Nonresident: means a person who is not a resident of this state as defined in section 28-2001. See Arizona Laws 28-101
- Owner: means :
(a) A person who holds the legal title of a vehicle. See Arizona Laws 28-101
- Person: means a public or private corporation, company, partnership, firm, association or society of persons, the federal government and its departments or agencies, this state or any of its agencies, departments, political subdivisions, counties, towns or municipal corporations or a natural person. See Arizona Laws 28-5201
- Person: includes a corporation, company, partnership, firm, association or society, as well as a natural person. See Arizona Laws 1-215
- Probable cause: A reasonable ground for belief that the offender violated a specific law.
- Process: means a citation, writ or summons issued in the course of judicial proceedings. See Arizona Laws 1-215
- Public highway: means a public street, alley, road, highway or thoroughfare of any kind in this state that is used by the public or that is open to the use of the public as a matter of right, for the purpose of vehicular travel. See Arizona Laws 28-5201
- School bus: means a motor vehicle that is designed for carrying more than ten passengers and that is either:
(a) Owned by any public or governmental agency or other institution and operated for the transportation of children to or from home or school on a regularly scheduled basis. See Arizona Laws 28-101
- Semitrailer: means a vehicle that is with or without motive power, other than a pole trailer or single-axle tow dolly, that is designed for carrying persons or property and for being drawn by a motor vehicle and that is constructed so that some part of its weight and that of its load rests on or is carried by another vehicle. See Arizona Laws 28-101
- Shipper: means a person who offers a material for motor vehicle transportation in commerce. See Arizona Laws 28-5201
- State: means a state of the United States and the District of Columbia. See Arizona Laws 28-101
- Statute: A law passed by a legislature.
- Trailer: means a vehicle that is with or without motive power, other than a pole trailer or single-axle tow dolly, that is designed for carrying persons or property and for being drawn by a motor vehicle and that is constructed so that no part of its weight rests on the towing vehicle. See Arizona Laws 28-101
- Transportation: means a movement of person or property by a motor vehicle and any loading, unloading or storage incidental to the movement. See Arizona Laws 28-5201
- Truck: means a motor vehicle designed or used primarily for the carrying of property other than the effects of the driver or passengers and includes a motor vehicle to which has been added a box, a platform or other equipment for such carrying. See Arizona Laws 28-101
- Truck tractor: means a motor vehicle that is designed and used primarily for drawing other vehicles and that is not constructed to carry a load other than a part of the weight of the vehicle and load drawn. See Arizona Laws 28-101
- United States: includes the District of Columbia and the territories. See Arizona Laws 1-215
- Writing: includes printing. See Arizona Laws 1-215