Terms Used In Arizona Laws > Title 28 > Chapter 1 > Article 1 - Definitions
- Alcohol: means any substance containing any form of alcohol, including ethanol, methanol, propynol and isopropynol. See Arizona Laws 28-101
- Aviation fuel: means all flammable liquids composed of a mixture of selected hydrocarbons expressly manufactured and blended for the purpose of effectively and efficiently operating an internal combustion engine for use in an aircraft but does not include fuel for jet or turbine powered aircraft. See Arizona Laws 28-101
- Bail: Security given for the release of a criminal defendant or witness from legal custody (usually in the form of money) to secure his/her appearance on the day and time appointed.
- Bicycle: means a device, including a racing wheelchair, that is propelled by human power and on which a person may ride and that has either:
(a) Two tandem wheels, either of which is more than sixteen inches in diameter. See Arizona Laws 28-101
- Board: means the transportation board. See Arizona Laws 28-101
- Bus: means a motor vehicle designed for carrying sixteen or more passengers, including the driver. See Arizona Laws 28-101
- Business district: means the territory contiguous to and including a highway if there are buildings in use for business or industrial purposes within any six hundred feet along the highway, including hotels, banks or office buildings, railroad stations and public buildings that occupy at least three hundred feet of frontage on one side or three hundred feet collectively on both sides of the highway. See Arizona Laws 28-101
- Certificate of title: means a paper document or an electronic record that is issued by the department and that indicates ownership of a vehicle. See Arizona Laws 28-101
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Dealer: means a person who is engaged in the business of buying, selling or exchanging motor vehicles, trailers or semitrailers and who has an established place of business and has paid fees pursuant to section 28-4302. See Arizona Laws 28-101
- Department: means the department of transportation acting directly or through its duly authorized officers and agents. See Arizona Laws 28-101
- Director: means the director of the department of transportation. See Arizona Laws 28-101
- Drive: means to operate or be in actual physical control of a motor vehicle. See Arizona Laws 28-101
- Driver: means a person who drives or is in actual physical control of a vehicle. See Arizona Laws 28-101
- Driver license: means a license that is issued by a state to an individual and that authorizes the individual to drive a motor vehicle. See Arizona Laws 28-101
- Electric bicycle: means a bicycle or tricycle that is equipped with fully operable pedals and an electric motor of less than seven hundred fifty watts and that meets the requirements of one of the following classes:
(a) "Class 1 electric bicycle" means a bicycle or tricycle that is equipped with an electric motor that provides assistance only when the rider is pedaling and that ceases to provide assistance when the bicycle or tricycle reaches the speed of twenty miles per hour. See Arizona Laws 28-101
- Electric miniature scooter: means a device that:
(a) Weighs less than thirty pounds. See Arizona Laws 28-101
- Electric personal assistive mobility device: means a self-balancing device with one wheel or two nontandem wheels and an electric propulsion system that limits the maximum speed of the device to fifteen miles per hour or less and that is designed to transport only one person. See Arizona Laws 28-101
- essential parts: means integral and body parts, the removal, alteration or substitution of which will tend to conceal the identity or substantially alter the appearance of the vehicle. See Arizona Laws 28-101
- Farm: means any lands primarily used for agriculture production. See Arizona Laws 28-101
- Fixed Rate: Having a "fixed" rate means that the APR doesn't change based on fluctuations of some external rate (such as the "Prime Rate"). In other words, a fixed rate is a rate that is not a variable rate. A fixed APR can change over time, in several circumstances:
- You are late making a payment or commit some other default, triggering an increase to a penalty rate
- The bank changes the terms of your account and you do not reject the change.
- The rate expires (if the rate was fixed for only a certain period of time).
- highway: means the entire width between the boundary lines of every way if a part of the way is open to the use of the public for purposes of vehicular travel. See Arizona Laws 28-101
- incidentally operated or moved on a highway: means travel between a farm and another part of the same farm, from one farm to another farm or between a farm and a place of repair, supply or storage. See Arizona Laws 28-101
- including: means not limited to and is not a term of exclusion. See Arizona Laws 1-215
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Lease: A contract transferring the use of property or occupancy of land, space, structures, or equipment in consideration of a payment (e.g., rent). Source: OCC
- Limousine: means a motor vehicle providing prearranged ground transportation service for an individual passenger, or a group of passengers, that is arranged in advance or is operated on a regular route or between specified points and includes ground transportation under a contract or agreement for services that includes a fixed rate or time and is provided in a motor vehicle with a seating capacity not exceeding fifteen passengers including the driver. See Arizona Laws 28-101
- Local authority: means any county, municipal or other local board or body exercising jurisdiction over highways under the constitution and laws of this state. See Arizona Laws 28-101
- Manufacturer: means a person engaged in the business of manufacturing motor vehicles, trailers or semitrailers. See Arizona Laws 28-101
- Moped: means a bicycle, not including an electric bicycle, an electric miniature scooter or an electric standup scooter, that is equipped with a helper motor if the vehicle has a maximum piston displacement of fifty cubic centimeters or less, a brake horsepower of one and one-half or less and a maximum speed of twenty-five miles per hour or less on a flat surface with less than a one percent grade. See Arizona Laws 28-101
- Mortgagor: The person who pledges property to a creditor as collateral for a loan and who receives the money.
- Motorcycle: means a motor vehicle that has a seat or saddle for the use of the rider and that is designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground but excludes a tractor, an electric bicycle, an electric miniature scooter, an electric standup scooter and a moped. See Arizona Laws 28-101
- Motorized skateboard: means a self-propelled device that does not have handlebars and that has a motor, a deck on which a person may ride and at least two tandem wheels in contact with the ground. See Arizona Laws 28-101
- Motorized wheelchair: means a self-propelled wheelchair that is used by a person for mobility. See Arizona Laws 28-101
- Off-road recreational motor vehicle: means a motor vehicle that is designed primarily for recreational nonhighway all-terrain travel and that is not operated on a public highway. See Arizona Laws 28-101
- Owner: means :
(a) A person who holds the legal title of a vehicle. See Arizona Laws 28-101
- Pedestrian: means any person afoot. See Arizona Laws 28-101
- Person: includes a corporation, company, partnership, firm, association or society, as well as a natural person. See Arizona Laws 1-215
- Personal mobile cargo carrying device: means an electronically powered device that:
(a) Is operated primarily on sidewalks and within crosswalks and that is designed to transport property. See Arizona Laws 28-101
- Personal property: includes money, goods, chattels, things in action and evidences of debt. See Arizona Laws 1-215
- Personal property: All property that is not real property.
- Plea: In a criminal case, the defendant's statement pleading "guilty" or "not guilty" in answer to the charges, a declaration made in open court.
- Property: includes both real and personal property. See Arizona Laws 1-215
- Real property: Land, and all immovable fixtures erected on, growing on, or affixed to the land.
- Residence district: means the territory contiguous to and including a highway not comprising a business district if the property on the highway for a distance of three hundred feet or more is in the main improved with residences or residences and buildings in use for business. See Arizona Laws 28-101
- Right-of-way: when used within the context of the regulation of the movement of traffic on a highway means the privilege of the immediate use of the highway. See Arizona Laws 28-101
- School bus: means a motor vehicle that is designed for carrying more than ten passengers and that is either:
(a) Owned by any public or governmental agency or other institution and operated for the transportation of children to or from home or school on a regularly scheduled basis. See Arizona Laws 28-101
- Semitrailer: means a vehicle that is with or without motive power, other than a pole trailer or single-axle tow dolly, that is designed for carrying persons or property and for being drawn by a motor vehicle and that is constructed so that some part of its weight and that of its load rests on or is carried by another vehicle. See Arizona Laws 28-101
- Single-axle tow dolly: means a nonvehicle device that is drawn by a motor vehicle, that is designed and used exclusively to transport another motor vehicle and on which the front or rear wheels of the drawn motor vehicle are mounted on the tow dolly while the other wheels of the drawn motor vehicle remain in contact with the ground. See Arizona Laws 28-101
- State: means a state of the United States and the District of Columbia. See Arizona Laws 28-101
- State highway: means a state route or portion of a state route that is accepted and designated by the board as a state highway and that is maintained by the state. See Arizona Laws 28-101
- State route: means a right-of-way whether actually used as a highway or not that is designated by the board as a location for the construction of a state highway. See Arizona Laws 28-101
- Taxi: means a motor vehicle that has a seating capacity not exceeding fifteen passengers, including the driver, that provides passenger services and that:
(a) Does not primarily operate on a regular route or between specified places. See Arizona Laws 28-101
- Title transfer form: means a paper or an electronic form that is prescribed by the department for the purpose of transferring a certificate of title from one owner to another owner. See Arizona Laws 28-101
- Traffic survival school: means a school that offers educational sessions to drivers who are required to attend and successfully complete educational sessions pursuant to this title that are designed to improve the safety and habits of drivers and that are approved by the department. See Arizona Laws 28-101
- Trailer: means a vehicle that is with or without motive power, other than a pole trailer or single-axle tow dolly, that is designed for carrying persons or property and for being drawn by a motor vehicle and that is constructed so that no part of its weight rests on the towing vehicle. See Arizona Laws 28-101
- Truck: means a motor vehicle designed or used primarily for the carrying of property other than the effects of the driver or passengers and includes a motor vehicle to which has been added a box, a platform or other equipment for such carrying. See Arizona Laws 28-101
- Truck tractor: means a motor vehicle that is designed and used primarily for drawing other vehicles and that is not constructed to carry a load other than a part of the weight of the vehicle and load drawn. See Arizona Laws 28-101
- United States: includes the District of Columbia and the territories. See Arizona Laws 1-215
- Vehicle transporter: means either:
(a) A truck tractor capable of carrying a load and drawing a semitrailer. See Arizona Laws 28-101