|Article 1||General Provisions||36-2301 – 36-2303|
|Article 2||Treatment of Embryos||36-2311 – 36-2313|
Terms Used In Arizona Laws > Title 36 > Chapter 23
- Amendment: A proposal to alter the text of a pending bill or other measure by striking out some of it, by inserting new language, or both. Before an amendment becomes part of the measure, thelegislature must agree to it.
- Appropriation: The provision of funds, through an annual appropriations act or a permanent law, for federal agencies to make payments out of the Treasury for specified purposes. The formal federal spending process consists of two sequential steps: authorization
- Articles of incorporation: means the original or restated articles of incorporation or articles of merger and all amendments to the articles of incorporation or merger and includes amended and restated articles of incorporation and articles of amendment and merger. See Arizona Laws 10-140
- Commission: means the Arizona corporation commission. See Arizona Laws 10-140
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Delivery: means actual receipt by the person or entity to which directed and for electronic transmissions means receipt as described in section 44-7015, subsection B. See Arizona Laws 10-140
- Destructive human embryonic stem cell research: means any research that involves the disaggregation of any human embryo for the purpose of creating human pluripotent stem cells or human pluripotent stem cell lines. See Arizona Laws 36-2311
- domestic corporation: means a corporation for profit that is not a foreign corporation and that is incorporated under or subject to chapters 1 through 17 of this title. See Arizona Laws 10-140
- Entity: includes a corporation, foreign corporation, not for profit corporation, profit and not for profit unincorporated association, nonprofit corporation, close corporation, corporation sole or limited liability company, a professional corporation, association or limited liability company, a business trust, estate, partnership, registered limited liability partnership, trust or joint venture, two or more persons having a joint or common economic interest, any person other than an individual and a state, the United States and a foreign government. See Arizona Laws 10-140
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- Filing: means the commission completing the following procedure with respect to any document delivered for that purpose:
(a) Determining that the filing fee requirements of section 10-122 have been satisfied. See Arizona Laws 10-140
- Fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006.
- Foreign corporation: means a corporation for profit that is incorporated under a law other than the law of this state. See Arizona Laws 10-140
- Human embryo: means a living organism of the species homo sapiens through the first fifty-six days of its development, excluding any time during which its development has been suspended. See Arizona Laws 36-2311
- Human-animal hybrid: means any of the following:
(a) A human embryo into which a nonhuman cell or cells, or any component part of a nonhuman cell or cells, have been introduced. See Arizona Laws 36-2311
- In vitro: means outside the human body. See Arizona Laws 36-2311
- including: means not limited to and is not a term of exclusion. See Arizona Laws 1-215
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- Person: includes an individual and entity. See Arizona Laws 10-140
- Plaintiff: The person who files the complaint in a civil lawsuit.
- Proceeding: includes a civil suit and a criminal, administrative and investigatory action. See Arizona Laws 10-140
- Process: means a citation, writ or summons issued in the course of judicial proceedings. See Arizona Laws 1-215
- Property: includes both real and personal property. See Arizona Laws 1-215
- Purchase or sell: includes an exchange of cash, an in-kind payment or any other valuable financial or nonfinancial consideration. See Arizona Laws 36-2311
- Service of process: The service of writs or summonses to the appropriate party.
- Trial: A hearing that takes place when the defendant pleads "not guilty" and witnesses are required to come to court to give evidence.
- Vote: includes authorization by written ballot and written consent. See Arizona Laws 10-3140
- Writing: includes printing. See Arizona Laws 1-215