Arizona Laws > Title 44 > Chapter 1 – Contracts
Current as of: 2022 | Check for updates | Other versions
Terms Used In Arizona Laws > Title 44 > Chapter 1 - Contracts
- Action: includes any matter or proceeding in a court, civil or criminal. See Arizona Laws 1-215
- Adult: means a person who has attained eighteen years of age. See Arizona Laws 1-215
- Answer: The formal written statement by a defendant responding to a civil complaint and setting forth the grounds for defense.
- Articles of incorporation: means the original or restated articles of incorporation or articles of merger and all amendments to the articles of incorporation or merger and includes amended and restated articles of incorporation and articles of amendment and merger. See Arizona Laws 10-140
- Beneficiary: A person who is entitled to receive the benefits or proceeds of a will, trust, insurance policy, retirement plan, annuity, or other contract. Source: OCC
- Bequeath: To gift property by will.
- Board of directors: means the group of persons vested with the management of the affairs of the corporation irrespective of the name by which the group is designated and includes the governing body or bodies of a water users' association if the articles of incorporation of the water users' association provide for a governing body or bodies denominated other than as a board of directors. See Arizona Laws 10-140
- Bylaws: means the code of rules adopted for the regulation or management of the affairs of the corporation irrespective of the name by which those rules are designated. See Arizona Laws 10-140
- Commission: means the Arizona corporation commission. See Arizona Laws 44-1801
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Corporation: includes any domestic or foreign predecessor entity of a corporation in a merger or other transaction in which the predecessor's existence ceased upon consummation of the transaction. See Arizona Laws 10-3850
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Court: means the superior court of this state. See Arizona Laws 10-140
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Defendant: In a civil suit, the person complained against; in a criminal case, the person accused of the crime.
- Devise: To gift property by will.
- Director: means an individual who is or was a director of a corporation or an individual who, while a director of a corporation, is or was serving at the corporation's request as a director, officer, partner, trustee, employee or agent of another foreign or domestic corporation, partnership, joint venture, trust, employee benefit plan or other entity. See Arizona Laws 10-3850
- domestic corporation: means a corporation for profit that is not a foreign corporation and that is incorporated under or subject to chapters 1 through 17 of this title. See Arizona Laws 10-140
- Educational institution: means a university, college, community college, junior college, high school, technical, vocational or professional school, or similar institution, wherever located, approved or accredited for the purposes of this article by the state board of education. See Arizona Laws 44-140
- Educational loan: means a loan or other aid or assistance for the purpose of furthering the obligor's education at an educational institution. See Arizona Laws 44-140
- Entity: includes a corporation, foreign corporation, not for profit corporation, profit and not for profit unincorporated association, nonprofit corporation, close corporation, corporation sole or limited liability company, a professional corporation, association or limited liability company, a business trust, estate, partnership, registered limited liability partnership, trust or joint venture, two or more persons having a joint or common economic interest, any person other than an individual and a state, the United States and a foreign government. See Arizona Laws 10-140
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Executor: A male person named in a will to carry out the decedent
- Expenses: include attorney fees and other costs and expenses reasonably related to a proceeding. See Arizona Laws 10-3850
- Fiduciary: A trustee, executor, or administrator.
- Guardian: A person legally empowered and charged with the duty of taking care of and managing the property of another person who because of age, intellect, or health, is incapable of managing his (her) own affairs.
- including: means not limited to and is not a term of exclusion. See Arizona Laws 1-215
- Indemnification: In general, a collateral contract or assurance under which one person agrees to secure another person against either anticipated financial losses or potential adverse legal consequences. Source: FDIC
- Individual: includes the estate of an incompetent or deceased individual. See Arizona Laws 10-140
- Interest rate: The amount paid by a borrower to a lender in exchange for the use of the lender's money for a certain period of time. Interest is paid on loans or on debt instruments, such as notes or bonds, either at regular intervals or as part of a lump sum payment when the issue matures. Source: OCC
- Intestate: Dying without leaving a will.
- Issuer: means any person who issues or proposes to issue any security, except:
(a) With respect to certificates of deposit, voting-trust certificates, collateral-trust certificates, certificates of interest or shares in an unincorporated investment trust, whether or not of the fixed, restricted management or unit type, issuer means the person or persons performing the acts and assuming the duties of depositor or manager pursuant to the provisions of the trust or other agreement or instrument under which such securities are issued. See Arizona Laws 44-1801
- Lease: A contract transferring the use of property or occupancy of land, space, structures, or equipment in consideration of a payment (e.g., rent). Source: OCC
- Liability: means the obligation to pay a judgment, settlement, penalty or fine, including an excise tax assessed with respect to an employee benefit plan, or reasonable expenses actually incurred with respect to a proceeding and includes obligations and expenses that have not yet been paid by the indemnified persons but that have been or may be incurred. See Arizona Laws 10-3850
- Member: means , without regard to what a person is called in the articles of incorporation or bylaws, any person or persons who, pursuant to a provision of a corporation's articles of incorporation or bylaws, have the right to vote for the election of a director or directors. See Arizona Laws 10-3140
- Membership: refers to the rights and obligations a member or members have pursuant to a corporation's articles of incorporation and bylaws and chapters 24 through 40 of this title. See Arizona Laws 10-3140
- Minor: means a person under eighteen years of age. See Arizona Laws 1-215
- Nighttime: means the period between sunset and sunrise. See Arizona Laws 1-215
- Obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period.
- Officer: means an individual who is or was an officer of a corporation or an individual who, while an officer of a corporation, is or was serving at the corporation's request as a director, officer, partner, trustee, employee or agent of another foreign or domestic corporation, partnership, joint venture, trust, employee benefit plan or other entity. See Arizona Laws 10-3850
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- Party: includes an individual who was, is or is threatened to be made a named defendant or respondent in a proceeding. See Arizona Laws 10-3850
- Person: includes an individual and entity. See Arizona Laws 10-140
- Person: means an individual, corporation, partnership, association, joint stock company or trust, limited liability company, government or governmental subdivision or agency or any other unincorporated organization. See Arizona Laws 44-1801
- Person: means individual, corporation, government or governmental subdivision or agency, business trust, estate, trust, partnership or association, or any other legal entity. See Arizona Laws 44-140
- Plaintiff: The person who files the complaint in a civil lawsuit.
- Power of attorney: A written instrument which authorizes one person to act as another's agent or attorney. The power of attorney may be for a definite, specific act, or it may be general in nature. The terms of the written power of attorney may specify when it will expire. If not, the power of attorney usually expires when the person granting it dies. Source: OCC
- Proceeding: means any threatened, pending or completed action, suit or proceeding, whether civil, criminal, administrative or investigative and whether formal or informal. See Arizona Laws 10-3850
- Proceeding: includes a civil suit and a criminal, administrative and investigatory action. See Arizona Laws 10-140
- Property: includes both real and personal property. See Arizona Laws 1-215
- Quorum: The number of legislators that must be present to do business.
- Real property: Land, and all immovable fixtures erected on, growing on, or affixed to the land.
- Required disclosure: means disclosure by the director who has a conflicting interest of both:
(a) The existence and nature of the conflicting interest. See Arizona Laws 10-3860
- Secretary: means that officer designated as the secretary in the articles of incorporation or bylaws or that officer authorized in the articles of incorporation, the bylaws or otherwise to perform the functions of secretary, irrespective of the name by which designated. See Arizona Laws 10-140
- sell: means a sale or any other disposition of a security or interest in a security for value and includes a contract to make such sale or disposition. See Arizona Laws 44-1801
- Testator: A male person who leaves a will at death.
- Trustee: A person or institution holding and administering property in trust.
- Vote: includes authorization by written ballot and written consent. See Arizona Laws 10-3140
- Writing: includes printing. See Arizona Laws 1-215