|Article 1||Reimbursement of Public Assistance||46-401 – 46-408|
|Article 2||Support Payment Clearinghouse and Child Support Case Registry||46-441 – 46-445|
Terms Used In Arizona Laws > Title 46 > Chapter 3
- Absent parent: means the non-custodial natural or adoptive father or mother of a dependent child. See Arizona Laws 46-402
- Action: includes any matter or proceeding in a court, civil or criminal. See Arizona Laws 1-215
- Appeal: A request made after a trial, asking another court (usually the court of appeals) to decide whether the trial was conducted properly. To make such a request is "to appeal" or "to take an appeal." One who appeals is called the appellant.
- Applicant: means a person who has applied for assistance or services under this title, or a person who has applied for assistance or services under this title and who has custody of a dependent child. See Arizona Laws 46-101
- Appropriation: The provision of funds, through an annual appropriations act or a permanent law, for federal agencies to make payments out of the Treasury for specified purposes. The formal federal spending process consists of two sequential steps: authorization
- assistance: means any money payments made by the department that are paid to or for the benefit of any dependent child as provided in chapter 2, article 5 of this title. See Arizona Laws 46-402
- Cash assistance: means temporary assistance for needy families paid to a recipient for the purpose of meeting basic living expenses as defined by the department. See Arizona Laws 46-101
- Court: means any court in this or any other state having jurisdiction to determine the liability of persons for the support of another person. See Arizona Laws 46-402
- Court order: means any judgment or order of any court that orders payment of a set or determinable amount of support money. See Arizona Laws 46-402
- Department: means the Arizona department of economic security. See Arizona Laws 46-402
- Dependent: A person dependent for support upon another.
- Dependent child: means a person under the age of eighteen who is eligible for temporary assistance for needy families as provided in chapter 2, article 5 of this title. See Arizona Laws 46-402
- Director: means the director of the department of economic security or the director's designee or authorized representative. See Arizona Laws 46-402
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006.
- including: means not limited to and is not a term of exclusion. See Arizona Laws 1-215
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Month: means a calendar month unless otherwise expressed. See Arizona Laws 1-215
- Obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period.
- Person: includes a corporation, company, partnership, firm, association or society, as well as a natural person. See Arizona Laws 1-215
- Population: means the population according to the most recent United States decennial census. See Arizona Laws 1-215
- Process: means a citation, writ or summons issued in the course of judicial proceedings. See Arizona Laws 1-215
- Property: includes both real and personal property. See Arizona Laws 1-215
- Public law: A public bill or joint resolution that has passed both chambers and been enacted into law. Public laws have general applicability nationwide.
- Service of process: The service of writs or summonses to the appropriate party.
- Services: includes social casework, rehabilitation counseling and similar services rendered to a person or persons in need as provided for in this title. See Arizona Laws 46-101
- State: includes a state, territory or possession of the United States, the District of Columbia and the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico. See Arizona Laws 46-402
- Summons: Another word for subpoena used by the criminal justice system.
- Temporary assistance for needy families: means assistance granted under section 403 of title IV of the social security act as it exists after August 21, 1996. See Arizona Laws 46-101
- Trustee: A person or institution holding and administering property in trust.
- United States: includes the District of Columbia and the territories. See Arizona Laws 1-215
- Writing: includes printing. See Arizona Laws 1-215