(a) Notwithstanding subdivision (c) of this section or Sections 17456, 17457, and 42133, the West Contra Costa Unified School District, formerly known as the Richmond Unified School District, may enter into an agreement to lease any real property pursuant to Section 17456 and may use the financing proceeds from the agreement to terminate the Lease-Purchase Agreement, dated May 1, 1988, between the Richmond Unified School District Financing Corporation and the Richmond Unified School District. However, any property that has been leased, rented, sold, or otherwise utilized pursuant to Section 41470 may not be leased pursuant to this section.
(b) The West Contra Costa Unified School District shall notify the Controller at the time the district enters into a lease agreement pursuant to subdivision (a). That notice shall set forth a schedule of the rental payments payable under the lease agreement and shall include the name and address of the trustee to whom the right to receive the rental payments has been assigned.
Terms Used In California Education Code 17460
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Entitlement: A Federal program or provision of law that requires payments to any person or unit of government that meets the eligibility criteria established by law. Entitlements constitute a binding obligation on the part of the Federal Government, and eligible recipients have legal recourse if the obligation is not fulfilled. Social Security and veterans' compensation and pensions are examples of entitlement programs.
- Fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006.
- Lease: A contract transferring the use of property or occupancy of land, space, structures, or equipment in consideration of a payment (e.g., rent). Source: OCC
- Real property: Land, and all immovable fixtures erected on, growing on, or affixed to the land.
- Trustee: A person or institution holding and administering property in trust.
(c) Upon written notification by the trustee that the school district has not made one or more of the rental payments required by the terms of the lease, the Controller shall pay to the trustee from Section A of the State School Fund the defaulted rental payment. That payment by the Controller shall not exceed the amount of any apportionment entitlement of the district to moneys in Section A of the State School Fund, less any payments required in that fiscal year to repay any state loans made to the district. The Controller shall withhold the amount of any payment made under this subdivision, including reimbursement of the Controller’s administrative costs as determined under a schedule approved by the California Debt Advisory Commission, from subsequent apportionments to the West Contra Costa Unified School District from Section A of the State School Fund.
(d) Nothing in this section shall be construed to obligate the state to make any payment to, or on behalf of, the West Contra Costa Unified School District from Section A of the State School Fund in any amount, pursuant to any particular allocation formula, or to make any other payment to, or on behalf of, the district, including, but not limited to, any payment of those rental payments.
(e) Any apportionments made by the Controller pursuant to subdivision (c) shall be deemed to be an allocation to the West Contra Costa Unified School District for purposes of subdivision (b) of Section 8 of Article XVI of the California Constitution, and for purposes of Chapter 2 (commencing with Section 41200) of Part 24.
(Added by Stats. 1996, Ch. 277, Sec. 3. Effective January 1, 1997. Operative January 1, 1998.)