(a) The board shall establish a segregated account within the retirement fund to be known as the Gain and Loss Reserve, and the board shall have sole authority over the reserve. The Gain and Loss Reserve shall be maintained for the Defined Benefit Supplement Program and may be used to credit interest at the minimum interest rate for plan years in which the board determines that the obligation cannot be met from investment earnings. The Gain and Loss Reserve may also be used to provide additions to the Annuitant Reserve for monthly annuities payable under the Defined Benefit Supplement Program.
(b) The board shall establish a goal for the balance of the Gain and Loss Reserve and periodically shall review the sufficiency of the reserve based on the recommendations of the actuary.
Terms Used In California Education Code 25001
- Assets: (1) The property comprising the estate of a deceased person, or (2) the property in a trust account.
- Interest rate: The amount paid by a borrower to a lender in exchange for the use of the lender's money for a certain period of time. Interest is paid on loans or on debt instruments, such as notes or bonds, either at regular intervals or as part of a lump sum payment when the issue matures. Source: OCC
- Obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period.
(c) The board may allocate excess earnings of the plan with respect to assets attributable to the Defined Benefit Supplement Program to the Gain and Loss Reserve. In addition, the board may allocate any liability gains and losses attributable to the Defined Benefit Supplement Program to the Gain and Loss Reserve. Upon the recommendation of the actuary, the board shall determine annually the amount, if any, that is to be allocated to the Gain and Loss Reserve for that plan year. That determination shall be made upon recommendation of the actuary based on the actuarial valuation undertaken following the plan year pursuant to Section 22311.5, but no later than June 30 following the end of the plan year. In determining whether to allocate excess earnings to the Gain and Loss Reserve, the board shall consider all of the following:
(1) Whether or not the plan has excess earnings attributable to the Defined Benefit Supplement Program.
(2) The sufficiency of the Gain and Loss Reserve in light of the goal established pursuant to subdivision (b).
(3) The amount required for the plan’s administrative costs with respect to the Defined Benefit Supplement Program.
(4) The amount required for crediting members’ accounts at the minimum interest rate.
(d) In determining whether to allocate liability gains and losses to the Gain and Loss Reserve, the board shall consider the matters described in paragraphs (2), (3), and (4) of subdivision (c).
(Amended by Stats. 2016, Ch. 218, Sec. 38. (SB 1352) Effective January 1, 2017.)