Terms Used In California Codes > Family Code > Division 1 > Part 3
- Affidavit: A written statement of facts confirmed by the oath of the party making it, before a notary or officer having authority to administer oaths.
- Award: means monthly payments for life derived from contributions by a department. See California Government Code 50952
- Award system: means the Volunteer Firefighters Length of Service Award System established by this chapter. See California Government Code 50952
- Board: means the board of the California State Fire Employees Welfare Benefit Corporation. See California Government Code 50952
- Bureau: means the Cemetery and Funeral Bureau. See California Government Code 50833
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Department: means any of the following:
California Government Code 50952
- Director: means the Director of Consumer Affairs. See California Government Code 50833
- Fund: means an account or trust described in Internal Revenue Service Revenue Procedure 92-64, which is maintained by the custodian of the fund. See California Government Code 50952
- Guardian: A person legally empowered and charged with the duty of taking care of and managing the property of another person who because of age, intellect, or health, is incapable of managing his (her) own affairs.
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- Probation: A sentencing alternative to imprisonment in which the court releases convicted defendants under supervision as long as certain conditions are observed.
- Probation officers: Screen applicants for pretrial release and monitor convicted offenders released under court supervision.
- Volunteer: means a person registered as a volunteer member of a regularly organized fire department as defined in subdivision (k). See California Government Code 50952