For the purposes of this article, the following terms shall have the following meanings:
(a) “Acquire” includes acquisition by gift, purchase, lease, eminent domain, or otherwise.
Terms Used In California Government Code 12271
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Gift: A voluntary transfer or conveyance of property without consideration, or for less than full and adequate consideration based on fair market value.
- Lease: A contract transferring the use of property or occupancy of land, space, structures, or equipment in consideration of a payment (e.g., rent). Source: OCC
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- Real property: Land, and all immovable fixtures erected on, growing on, or affixed to the land.
- State: means the State of California, unless applied to the different parts of the United States. See California Education Code 19427
- Subdivision: means a subdivision of the section in which the term occurs unless some other section is expressly mentioned. See California Education Code 19404
(b) “Archival value” means the ongoing usefulness or significance of a record based on the administrative, legal, fiscal, evidential, or historical information it contains, justifying its permanent preservation.
(c) “Public record plant” means the plant, or any part thereof, or any record therein, of any person engaged in the business of searching or publishing public records or insuring or guaranteeing titles to real property, including copies of public records or abstracts and memoranda taken from public records that are owned by or in possession of that person or that are used by that person in his or her business.
(d) “Public use form” means a form used by the state to obtain or to solicit facts, opinions, or other information from the public or a private citizen, partnership, corporation, organization, business trust, or nongovernmental entity or legal representative thereof.
(e) “Record” has the same meaning as “public records” as defined in subdivision (e) of Section 6252, and includes, but is not limited to, any writing containing information relating to the conduct of the public’s business prepared, owned, used, or retained by a state or local agency regardless of physical form or characteristics. Library and museum materials made or acquired and preserved solely for reference or exhibition purposes and stocks of publications and of processed documents are not included within the definition of the term “record” as used in this article.
(Added by Stats. 2014, Ch. 28, Sec. 24. (SB 854) Effective June 20, 2014.)