(a) “Instrument,” as used in this chapter, means a written paper signed by a person or persons transferring the title to, or giving a lien on real property, or giving a right to a debt or duty.
(b) The recorder of any county may, in lieu of a written paper, accept for recording digitized images, digital images, or both, of a recordable instrument, paper, or notice if both of the following conditions are met:
Terms Used In California Government Code 27279
- County: includes city and county. See California Education Code 19428
- Lien: A claim against real or personal property in satisfaction of a debt.
- Notice: includes all papers and orders required to be served in any proceedings before any court, board, or officer, or when required by law to be served independently of such proceeding. See California Government Code 26660
- Person: includes any person, firm, association, organization, partnership, limited liability company, business trust, corporation, or company. See California Education Code 19426
- Real property: Land, and all immovable fixtures erected on, growing on, or affixed to the land.
- State: means the State of California, unless applied to the different parts of the United States. See California Education Code 19427
- Subdivision: means a subdivision of the section in which the term occurs unless some other section is expressly mentioned. See California Education Code 19404
(1) The image conforms to all other applicable statutes that prescribe recordability, except the requirement of original signatures in subdivision (b) of Section 27201.
(2) The requester and addressee for delivery of the recorded images are the same and can be readily identified as a local or state government entity, or an agency, branch, or instrumentality of the federal government.
(Amended by Stats. 2007, Ch. 277, Sec. 1. Effective January 1, 2008.)