Notwithstanding the provisions of Article 14 (commencing with Section 1010), with regard only to those insurers subject to this article:
(a) Within 120 days of the issuance of an order directing the winding up and liquidation of the business of an insolvent insurer under Section 1016, the commissioner shall make application to the court for approval of a proposal to disburse the insurer’s assets, from time to time as such assets become available, to the California Insurance Guarantee Association, or the California Life and Health Insurance Guarantee Association, and to any entity or person performing a similar function in another state.
Terms Used In California Insurance Code 1035.5
- Assets: (1) The property comprising the estate of a deceased person, or (2) the property in a trust account.
- Commissioner: means the Insurance Commissioner of this State. See California Education Code 25022.5
- Person: means any person, association, organization, partnership, business trust, limited liability company, or corporation. See California Education Code 25022
- State: means the State of California, unless applied to the different parts of the United States. See California Education Code 32033
(b) The proposal shall at least include the following provisions for:
(1) Reserving amounts for the payment of expenses of administration and the payment of claims of secured creditors (to the extent of the value of the security held) and claims falling within the priorities established in paragraphs (1) to (4), inclusive, of subdivision (a) of Section 1033.
(2) Disbursement of the assets marshaled to date and subsequent disbursements of assets as they become available.
(3) Equitable allocation of disbursements to each of the associations entitled thereto.
(4) The securing by the commissioner from each of the associations entitled to disbursements pursuant to this section of an agreement to return to the commissioner such assets previously disbursed as may be required to pay claims of secured creditors and claims falling within the priorities established in paragraphs (1) to (5), inclusive, of subdivision (a) of Section 1033 in accordance with the priorities. No bond shall be required of any association.
(5) A full report to be made by the association to the commissioner accounting for all assets so disbursed to the association, all disbursements made therefrom, any interest earned by the association on the assets, and any other matter as the court may direct.
(c) The commissioner’s proposal shall provide for disbursements to the associations in amounts estimated at least equal to the claim payments made or to be made by the associations for which such associations could assert a claim against the commissioner, and shall further provide that if the assets available for disbursement from time to time do not equal or exceed the amount of the claim payments made or to be made by the associations, then disbursements shall be in the amount of available assets. The reserves of the insolvent insurer on the date of the order of liquidation shall be used for purposes of determining the pro rata allocation of funds among eligible associations.
(d) The commissioner shall offset the amount disbursed to any entity or person performing a function in any other state similar to that function performed by the California Insurance Guarantee Association, or the California Life and Health Insurance Guarantee Association, by the amount of any statutory deposit, premiums, or any other asset of the insolvent insurer held in that state.
(e) Notice of such application shall be given to the associations in and to the commissioners of insurance of each of the states. Any such notice shall be deemed to have been given when deposited in the United States certified mails, first-class postage prepaid, at least 30 days prior to submission of such application to the court. Action on the application may be taken by the court provided the above required notice has been given and provided further that the commissioner’s proposal complies with paragraphs (1) and (4) of subdivision (b).
(Amended by Stats. 1993, Ch. 974, Sec. 1.4. Effective January 1, 1994.)