|Chapter 1||Definitions and Licensing|
|Chapter 2||Fiscal Requirements|
|Chapter 3||Other Provisions|
Terms Used In California Codes > Insurance Code > Division 2 > Part 7
- Child care and development programs: means those programs that offer a full range of services for children from infancy to 13 years of age, for any part of a day, by a public or private agency, in centers and family child care homes. See California Education Code 8208
- Child care and development services: means those services designed to meet a wide variety of needs of children and their families, while their parents or guardians are working, in training, seeking employment, incapacitated, or in need of respite. See California Education Code 8208
- Children with exceptional needs: means either of the following:
California Education Code 8208
- City: includes city and county and "incorporated town" but does not include "unincorporated town" or "village. See California Public Utilities Code 19
- Commissioner: means the Insurance Commissioner of this State. See California Insurance Code 20
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- County: includes city and county. See California Health and Safety Code 14
- County: includes "city and county. See California Code of Civil Procedure 17
- County: includes city and county. See California Public Utilities Code 18
- Discovery: Lawyers' examination, before trial, of facts and documents in possession of the opponents to help the lawyers prepare for trial.
- Domestic: means organized under the laws of this State, whether or not admitted. See California Insurance Code 26
- Escrow: Money given to a third party to be held for payment until certain conditions are met.
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- Foreign: means not organized under the laws of this State, whether or not admitted. See California Insurance Code 27
- Guardian: A person legally empowered and charged with the duty of taking care of and managing the property of another person who because of age, intellect, or health, is incapable of managing his (her) own affairs.
- Home protection company: means any person licensed pursuant to this part which issues home protection contracts. See California Insurance Code 12740
- Home protection contract: means a contract or agreement whereby a person, other than a builder, seller, or lessor of the home which is the subject of the contract, undertakes for a specified period of time, for a predetermined fee, to repair or replace all or any part of any component, system or appliance of a home necessitated by wear and tear, deterioration or inherent defect, arising during the effective period of the contract, and, in the event of an inspection conducted pursuant to subdivision (b) of Section 12761, by the failure of that inspection to detect the likelihood of any such loss. See California Insurance Code 12740
- Insurance agent: means a person authorized, by and on behalf of an insurer, to transact all classes of insurance other than life, disability, or health insurance, on behalf of an admitted insurance company. See California Insurance Code 31
- Intergenerational staff: means persons of various generations. See California Education Code 8208
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- licensee: means an insurer, agent, broker, or any other person who is required to be licensed by the department. See California Insurance Code 38.6
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- Nolo contendere: No contest-has the same effect as a plea of guilty, as far as the criminal sentence is concerned, but may not be considered as an admission of guilt for any other purpose.
- Oral argument: An opportunity for lawyers to summarize their position before the court and also to answer the judges' questions.
- Original bill: A bill which is drafted by a committee. It is introduced by the committee or subcommittee chairman after the committee votes to report it.
- Parent: means a biological parent, stepparent, adoptive parent, foster parent, caretaker relative, or any other adult living with a child who has responsibility for the care and welfare of the child. See California Education Code 8208
- Person: means any person, association, organization, partnership, business trust, limited liability company, or corporation. See California Insurance Code 19
- Personal property: All property that is not real property.
- Plea: In a criminal case, the defendant's statement pleading "guilty" or "not guilty" in answer to the charges, a declaration made in open court.
- Property: includes both personal and real property. See California Code of Civil Procedure 17
- Protection contract fee: means the consideration received, or to be received, by a home protection company for the issuance of any home protection contract. See California Insurance Code 12740
- quasi-public entity: means :
California Code of Civil Procedure 1245.320
- residential property: as used in this part means any single or multiple unit or units, including mobilehomes, (as defined in Health and Safety Code Section 18211) used primarily for residential purposes. See California Insurance Code 12740
- Settlement: Parties to a lawsuit resolve their difference without having a trial. Settlements often involve the payment of compensation by one party in satisfaction of the other party's claims.
- State: means the State of California, unless applied to the different parts of the United States. See California Insurance Code 28
- State: means the State of California, unless applied to the different parts of the United States. See California Public Utilities Code 17
- Support services: means those services that, when combined with child care and development services, help promote the healthy physical, mental, social, and emotional growth of children. See California Education Code 8208
- Transcript: A written, word-for-word record of what was said, either in a proceeding such as a trial or during some other conversation, as in a transcript of a hearing or oral deposition.
- Verdict: The decision of a petit jury or a judge.