|Article 1||General Provisions|
|Article 2||Nonmotorized Transportation Facilities|
|Article 2.5||California Bicycle Routes of National, State, or Regional Significance|
|Article 3||California Bicycle Transportation Act|
Terms Used In California Codes > Streets and Highways Code > Division 1 > Chapter 8
- Allegation: something that someone says happened.
- Appeal: A request made after a trial, asking another court (usually the court of appeals) to decide whether the trial was conducted properly. To make such a request is "to appeal" or "to take an appeal." One who appeals is called the appellant.
- Appropriation: The provision of funds, through an annual appropriations act or a permanent law, for federal agencies to make payments out of the Treasury for specified purposes. The formal federal spending process consists of two sequential steps: authorization
- Beneficiary: A person who is entitled to receive the benefits or proceeds of a will, trust, insurance policy, retirement plan, annuity, or other contract. Source: OCC
- bicycle: means a device upon which any person may ride, propelled exclusively by human power through a belt, chain, or gears, and having either two or three wheels in a tandem or tricycle arrangement. See California Welfare and Institutions Code 14089.6
- bikeway: means all facilities that provide primarily for, and promote, bicycle travel. See California Welfare and Institutions Code 14089.8
- Board: means the State Board of Forestry and Fire Protection. See California Revenue and Taxation Code 45858
- board: means the State Mining and Geology Board and "division" means the California Geological Survey of the department. See California Revenue and Taxation Code 45751
- Chambers: A judge's office.
- City: includes "city and county" and "incorporated town. See California Education Code 7007
- commission: means the California Transportation Commission. See California Education Code 7054.1
- Construction: includes :
California Education Code 8091
- Continuance: Putting off of a hearing ot trial until a later time.
- Controller: means the State Controller. See California Education Code 5303
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- County: includes "city and county. See California Education Code 1915
- County: includes "city and county. See California Education Code 7005
- County: includes "city and county. See California Education Code 94150
- department: means the State Department of Health Services. See California Welfare and Institutions Code 14062
- department: means the Department of Conservation and "director" means the Director of Conservation. See California Revenue and Taxation Code 45651
- Department: means the Department of Forestry and Fire Protection. See California Revenue and Taxation Code 45858
- Department: means the Department of Transportation of this state. See California Education Code 7053
- director: means the State Director of Health Services. See California Welfare and Institutions Code 14061
- Director: means the Director of Forestry and Fire Protection. See California Revenue and Taxation Code 45858
- Dismissal: The dropping of a case by the judge without further consideration or hearing. Source:
- executive officer of the board: means the director of the California Department of Tax and Fee Administration for those duties, powers, and responsibilities transferred to the California Department of Tax and Fee Administration pursuant to Section 15570. See California Education Code 5302
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- Fiduciary: A trustee, executor, or administrator.
- Fraud: Intentional deception resulting in injury to another.
- Freeway: means a highway in respect to which the owners of abutting lands have no right or easement of access to or from their abutting lands or in respect to which such owners have only limited or restricted right or easement of access. See California Education Code 7057
- highway: includes bridges, culverts, curbs, drains, and all works incidental to highway construction, improvement, and maintenance. See California Education Code 7056
- Litigation: A case, controversy, or lawsuit. Participants (plaintiffs and defendants) in lawsuits are called litigants.
- maintenance: includes any of the following:
California Education Code 8070
- Medi-Cal: means the California Medical Assistance Program. See California Welfare and Institutions Code 14063
- nonmotorized transportation facility: means a facility designed primarily for the use of pedestrians, bicyclists, or equestrians. See California Welfare and Institutions Code 14088.22
- Oversight: Committee review of the activities of a Federal agency or program.
- partnership: shall include limited liability company, registered limited liability partnership, and foreign limited liability partnership, except where the context or the specific provisions of this division otherwise require. See California Education Code 5325
- Person: means any person, firm, partnership, association, corporation, organization, limited liability company, or business trust. See California Education Code 7052
- Pleadings: Written statements of the parties in a civil case of their positions. In the federal courts, the principal pleadings are the complaint and the answer.
- Prosecute: To charge someone with a crime. A prosecutor tries a criminal case on behalf of the government.
- Spouse: includes "registered domestic partner" as required by Section 297. See California Education Code 5223
- Spouse: includes "registered domestic partner" as required by Section 297. See California Education Code 94148
- State highway: means any highway which is acquired, laid out, constructed, improved or maintained as a State highway pursuant to constitutional or legislative authorization. See California Education Code 7058
- Statute of limitations: A law that sets the time within which parties must take action to enforce their rights.
- Summons: Another word for subpoena used by the criminal justice system.