As used in sections 10a-250 to 10a-263, inclusive, the following terms shall have the following meanings unless the context clearly indicates another meaning and intent:
Terms Used In Connecticut General Statutes 10a-252
- another: may extend and be applied to communities, companies, corporations, public or private, limited liability companies, societies and associations. See Connecticut General Statutes 1-1
- banks: shall include all incorporated banks. See Connecticut General Statutes 1-1
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- Personal property: All property that is not real property.
(1) “Corporation” means The University of Connecticut Health Center Finance Corporation as created under section 10a-253;
(2) “Hospital” means the John Dempsey Hospital and the clinical operations of the schools of medicine and dental medicine of The University of Connecticut;
(3) “Hospital facilities” includes, but is not limited to: (A) All necessary, useful or appropriate supplies, materials, equipment, machines, devices, vehicles, computers, computer programs, furnishings, facilities, or systems or any other personal property suitable and intended for, or incidental or ancillary to, use by or in the operation of the hospital or in connection with any joint venture or shared service agreement authorized pursuant to sections 10a-250 to 10a-263, inclusive, and (B) from time to time, upon initial directive of the Board of Trustees of The University of Connecticut pursuant to subsection (b) of section 10a-104, such structures suitable for use by the hospital including, but not limited to, laboratories, laundries, nurses’, doctors’ or interns’ residences, administration buildings, facilities for research directly involved with hospital care, maintenance, storage or utility facilities and parking lots and garages, including the acquisition of land or rights in land required for any of such structures. Subject to the approval set forth in section 10a-257, “hospital facilities” includes all of the foregoing used by or in the operation of outpatient practices related to the hospital, or in the practices of medical, dental or other health professionals related to the hospital;
(4) “Joint venture” means a cooperative contractual arrangement between the corporation and one or more other parties including, but not limited to, hospitals, physicians, dentists, medical and dental clinics, health maintenance organizations, insurance companies, venture capital firms, banks and governmental agencies. The subject matter of such contractual arrangement shall include, but not be limited to, primary care clinics, imaging-diagnostic centers, reference libraries and medical office buildings, provided the corporation shall not enter into a joint venture the activity of which is being furnished or operated by the hospital on July 1, 1987, and the result of which would reduce or eliminate the number of state employees required at the hospital for such activity;
(5) “Person” means any individual, firm, partnership, association, limited liability company or corporation, public or private, organized or existing under the laws of the state or any other state, including federal corporations;
(6) “Project costs” means the total of the reasonable or necessary costs incurred for hospital facilities including, but not limited to, the following: Studies and surveys; plans, specifications, architectural and engineering services; legal organization, marketing or other special services; equipment design; electrical and air conditioning requirements; acquisition, demolition, construction, equipping and site development of new and rehabilitated buildings; rehabilitation, reconstruction, repair or remodeling of existing buildings; and financing costs, interest and carrying charges during construction;
(7) “Shared service agreement” means a contractual arrangement between the corporation and one or more other parties including, but not limited to, hospitals, physicians, dentists, medical and dental clinics, health maintenance organizations and insurance companies, in which the contracting parties allocate among themselves the proportionate benefit to be received by each such party of a service or facility being provided and the proportionate obligations assumed by each such party for its share of such a service or facility. The subject matter of such a service or facility shall include, but not be limited to, imaging-diagnostic centers, primary care clinics and medical office buildings, provided that the corporation shall not enter into a shared service agreement the activity of which is being furnished or operated by the hospital on July 1, 1987, and the result of which would reduce or eliminate the number of state employees required at the hospital for such activity;
(8) “State” means the state of Connecticut.