(a) No oral agreement made by a consumer to purchase, lease or rent goods or services from a telemarketer shall be a binding, valid or enforceable contract against the consumer unless the telemarketer receives from the consumer a written and signed contract that discloses in full the terms of the sale, lease or rental agreement. Any goods sent or services provided to a consumer by a telemarketer without such written contract shall be deemed to be an unconditional gift to the consumer without any obligation by the consumer to the telemarketer.
Terms Used In Connecticut General Statutes 42-285
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Gift: A voluntary transfer or conveyance of property without consideration, or for less than full and adequate consideration based on fair market value.
- Lease: A contract transferring the use of property or occupancy of land, space, structures, or equipment in consideration of a payment (e.g., rent). Source: OCC
- Obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period.
(b) The contract shall include, but shall not be limited to, the following information:
(1) The name, address and telephone number of the telemarketer;
(2) A list of all prices or fees being charged including any handling, shipping, delivery or other charges;
(3) The date of the transaction;
(4) A detailed description of the goods or services being sold, leased or rented; and
(5) In ten-point boldface type, in a space immediately preceding the space allotted for the consumer’s signature, the following statement: “YOU ARE NOT OBLIGATED TO PAY ANY MONEY UNLESS YOU SIGN THIS CONTRACT AND RETURN IT TO THE ADDRESS CONTAINED IN THIS CONTRACT”.
(c) The telemarketer shall provide the consumer with a duplicate copy of the contract with the complete information as presented in the original contract, to be retained by the consumer as proof of the terms of the agreement to purchase, lease or rent.