Terms Used In Delaware Code > Title 19 > Chapter 18
- Appeal: A request made after a trial, asking another court (usually the court of appeals) to decide whether the trial was conducted properly. To make such a request is "to appeal" or "to take an appeal." One who appeals is called the appellant.
- Employer: means any person employing 10 or more employees; and
(2) "Volunteer emergency responder" means a volunteer firefighter, a member of a ladies auxiliary of a volunteer fire company, volunteer emergency medical technician and/or a volunteer fire police officer. See Delaware Code Title 21 Sec. 2133
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- manufacturer: shall include any maker of new, incomplete vehicles and such maker's authorized sales and service representatives; any maker or final assembler of vehicle bodies, components or specialized equipment; and any installer of vehicle bodies, major components or specialized equipment which alters the vehicle's gross vehicle weight rating, or which substantially changes its use, and which conforms to the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act [repealed; see now 49 U. See Delaware Code Title 21 Sec. 2105
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- Statute: A law passed by a legislature.
- Summons: Another word for subpoena used by the criminal justice system.
- United States: includes its territories and possessions and the District of Columbia. See Delaware Code Title 6 Sec. 4307
- Year: means a calendar year, and is equivalent to the words "year of our Lord. See Delaware Code Title 6 Sec. 4307