In the construction of this Code and of all other statutes of this State, unless the context requires a different meaning:
(1) ”Adult” or “adult person” means a person of the age of 18 years or older.
(2) ”Child” means a person who has not reached the age of 18 years.
(3) ”Full age” means the age of 18 years or older.
(4) ”Grantee” includes every person to whom a freehold estate or interest is conveyed.
(5) ”Grantor” includes every person by whom a freehold estate or interest is conveyed.
(6) ”Infancy” means an age of less than 18 years.
(7) ”Infant” means a person who has not reached the age of 18 years.
(8) ”Inhabitant” means a resident in any place.
(9) ”Kin” and “kindred,” as applied to the descent of estates, signify kin or kindred by blood, and the degrees of consanguinity shall be computed by the civil law method; but collateral kindred claiming through a nearer common ancestor, shall be preferred to those claiming through a more remote common ancestor.
(10) ”Lawful age” means the age of 18 years or older.
(11) ”Minor” or “minor child” means a person who has not reached the age of 18 years.
(12) ”Money” or “dollars” means lawful money of the United States.
(13) ”Month” means a calendar month, unless otherwise expressed.
(14) ”Oath” includes affirmation in all cases where an affirmation may be substituted for an oath, and “sworn” includes affirmed; and the forms shall be varied accordingly.
(15) ”Person” and “whoever” respectively include corporations, companies, associations, firms, partnerships, societies and joint-stock companies, as well as individuals.
(16) ”Person with a mental condition” includes every person with an emotional or psychiatric disorder or disability.
(17) ”Real estate” or “real property” is synonymous with the phrase “lands, tenements and hereditaments.”
(18) ”State” means the State of Delaware; and when applied to different parts of the United States, it includes the District of Columbia and the several territories and possessions of the United States.
(19) ”Tavern” includes inn.
(20) ”Under age” means an age of less than 18 years.
(21) ”United States” includes its territories and possessions and the District of Columbia.
(22) ”Will” means “last will and testament” and includes “codicil.”
(23) ”Written” and “writing” respectively include printing and typewriting and reproductions of visual symbols by photographing, lithographing, multigraphing, mimeographing, manifolding or otherwise; but in all cases where the written signature of any person is by law required, it shall be the proper handwriting of such person, or if the person cannot write the person’s name, the person’s mark.
(24) ”Year” means a calendar year, and is equivalent to the words “year of our Lord.”
Terms Used In Delaware Code Title 1 Sec. 302
- Affirmed: In the practice of the appellate courts, the decree or order is declared valid and will stand as rendered in the lower court.
- Codicil: An addition, change, or supplement to a will executed with the same formalities required for the will itself.