Terms Used In Florida Statutes 1004.98
- Career program: means a group of identified competencies leading to occupations identified by a Classification of Instructional Programs number. See Florida Statutes 1004.02
- Workforce literacy: means the basic skills necessary to perform in entry-level occupations or the skills necessary to adapt to technological advances in the workplace. See Florida Statutes 1004.02
(1) The workforce literacy program is established within the Florida College System institutions and school districts to ensure the existence of sufficient numbers of employees who possess the skills necessary to perform in entry-level occupations and to adapt to technological advances in the workplace. Workforce literacy programs are intended to support economic development by increasing adult literacy and producing an educated workforce.
(2) Each Florida College System institution and school district may conduct courses and programs through which adults gain the communication and computation skills necessary to complete a career program, to gain or maintain entry-level employment, or to upgrade employment. Courses may not be conducted until the Florida College System institution or school district identifies current and prospective employees who do not possess the skills necessary to enter career programs or to obtain or maintain employment.
(3) A Florida College System institution or school district may be eligible to fund a workforce literacy program pursuant to the provisions of s. 1004.94.