Terms Used In Florida Statutes 39.901
- Department: means the Department of Children and Families. See Florida Statutes 39.01
- Domestic violence: has the meaning set forth in…. See Florida Statutes 39.902
- Shelter: means a placement with a relative or a nonrelative, or in a licensed home or facility, for the temporary care of a child who is alleged to be or who has been found to be dependent, pending court disposition before or after adjudication. See Florida Statutes 39.01
- Victim: means any child who has sustained or is threatened with physical, mental, or emotional injury identified in a report involving child abuse, neglect, or abandonment, or child-on-child sexual abuse. See Florida Statutes 39.01
(1) The Legislature recognizes that the perpetration of violence by persons against their intimate partners, spouses, ex-spouses, or those with whom they share a child in common poses a significant public health threat that has adverse physical, emotional, and financial impacts on families and communities in this state. The Legislature further finds that it is critical that victims of domestic violence and their dependents have access to safe emergency shelter, advocacy, and crisis intervention services to assist them with the resources necessary to be safe and live free of violence.
(2) To ensure statewide consistency in the provision of confidential, comprehensive, and effective services to victims of domestic violence and their families, the Department of Children and Families shall certify and monitor domestic violence centers. The department and certified domestic violence centers shall serve as partners and together provide a coordinated response to address victim safety, hold batterers accountable, and prevent future violence in this state.