Terms Used In Florida Statutes 623.10
- Amendment: A proposal to alter the text of a pending bill or other measure by striking out some of it, by inserting new language, or both. Before an amendment becomes part of the measure, thelegislature must agree to it.
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Lease: A contract transferring the use of property or occupancy of land, space, structures, or equipment in consideration of a payment (e.g., rent). Source: OCC
- Mortgage: The written agreement pledging property to a creditor as collateral for a loan.
- Personal property: All property that is not real property.
Any corporation existing under the provisions of this act, unless otherwise limited by its charter or bylaws shall have the following powers:
(1) To purchase, own, lease, hold, sell, convey, assign, transfer, mortgage, pledge, or otherwise dispose of real and personal property, tangible and intangible.
(2) To borrow money and contract debts whenever necessary for the transaction of its business or for the exercise of its corporate powers, rights, and privileges, or for any other lawful purpose; to issue bonds, promissory notes, bills of exchange, debentures, and other obligations and evidences of indebtedness, payable at a specified time, or payable upon the happening of a specified event, whether secured by mortgages, pledge or otherwise, or unsecured for money borrowed or in payment of property purchased or acquired, or for any other lawful object.
(3) To accept gifts from members and nonmembers and other legitimate sources.
(4) To do all things necessary and proper for the accomplishment of the objectives and purposes of the corporation as enumerated in its charter, its bylaws, or any amendment thereof, or necessary or incidental to the attainment of the objectives and purposes of the corporation.
(5) To sue and be sued.