(1) As used in this chapter, the term “slot machine or device” means any machine or device or system or network of devices that is adapted for use in such a way that, upon activation, which may be achieved by, but is not limited to, the insertion of any piece of money, coin, account number, code, or other object or information, such device or system is directly or indirectly caused to operate or may be operated and if the user, whether by application of skill or by reason of any element of chance or any other outcome unpredictable by the user, may:
(a) Receive or become entitled to receive any piece of money, credit, allowance, or thing of value, or any check, slug, token, or memorandum, whether of value or otherwise, which may be exchanged for any money, credit, allowance, or thing of value or which may be given in trade; or
Terms Used In Florida Statutes 849.16
- reverse vending machine: means a machine into which empty beverage containers are deposited for recycling and which provides a payment of money, merchandise, vouchers, or other incentives. See Florida Statutes 849.16
- slot machine or device: includes , but is not limited to, devices regulated as slot machines pursuant to chapter 551. See Florida Statutes 849.16
(b) Secure additional chances or rights to use such machine, apparatus, or device, even though the device or system may be available for free play or, in addition to any element of chance or unpredictable outcome of such operation, may also sell, deliver, or present some merchandise, indication of weight, entertainment, or other thing of value. The term “slot machine or device” includes, but is not limited to, devices regulated as slot machines pursuant to chapter 551.
(2) This chapter may not be construed, interpreted, or applied to the possession of a reverse vending machine. As used in this section, the term “reverse vending machine” means a machine into which empty beverage containers are deposited for recycling and which provides a payment of money, merchandise, vouchers, or other incentives. At a frequency less than upon the deposit of each beverage container, a reverse vending machine may pay out a random incentive bonus greater than that guaranteed payment in the form of money, merchandise, vouchers, or other incentives. The deposit of any empty beverage container into a reverse vending machine does not constitute consideration, and a reverse vending machine may not be deemed a slot machine as defined in this section.
(3) There is a rebuttable presumption that a device, system, or network is a prohibited slot machine or device if it is used to display images of games of chance and is part of a scheme involving any payment or donation of money or its equivalent and awarding anything of value.