Terms Used In Hawaii Revised Statutes > Chapter 448
- Appeal: A request made after a trial, asking another court (usually the court of appeals) to decide whether the trial was conducted properly. To make such a request is "to appeal" or "to take an appeal." One who appeals is called the appellant.
- Applicant: means any person who applies for a certificate of need under part V. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 323D-2
- board: means the board of dentistry. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 448-5
- Capital expenditure: means any purchase or transfer of money or anything of value or enforceable promise or agreement to purchase or transfer money or anything of value incurred by or in behalf of any person for construction, expansion, alteration, conversion, development, initiation, or modification as defined in this section. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 323D-2
- Certificate of need: means an authorization, when required pursuant to section 323D-43, to construct, expand, alter, or convert a health care facility or to initiate, expand, develop, or modify a health care service. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 323D-2
- Complaint: A written statement by the plaintiff stating the wrongs allegedly committed by the defendant.
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- county: includes the city and county of Honolulu. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 1-22
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Ex officio: Literally, by virtue of one's office.
- Executor: A male person named in a will to carry out the decedent
- Expenditure minimum: means $4,000,000 for capital expenditures, $1,000,000 for new or replacement medical equipment and $400,000 for used medical equipment. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 323D-2
- Fiduciary: A trustee, executor, or administrator.
- Fraud: Intentional deception resulting in injury to another.
- Guardian: A person legally empowered and charged with the duty of taking care of and managing the property of another person who because of age, intellect, or health, is incapable of managing his (her) own affairs.
- Health: includes physical and mental health. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 323D-2
- health care service: include any program, institution, place, building, or agency, or portion thereof, private or public, other than federal facilities or services, whether organized for profit or not, used, operated, or designed to provide medical diagnosis, treatment, nursing, rehabilitative, or preventive care to any person or persons. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 323D-2
- health care services: means the provision of services in an assisted living facility that assists the resident in achieving and maintaining the highest state of positive well-being (i. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 323D-2
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- modify: includes the erection, building, reconstruction, modernization, improvement, purchase, acquisition, or establishment of a health care facility or health care service; the purchase or acquisition of equipment attendant to the delivery of health care service and the instruction or supervision therefor; the arrangement or commitment for financing the offering or development of a health care facility or health care service; any obligation for a capital expenditure by a health care facility; and studies, surveys, designs, plans, working drawings, specifications, procedures, and other actions necessary for any such undertaking, which will:
(1) Result in a total capital expenditure in excess of the expenditure minimum,
(2) Substantially modify, decrease, or increase the scope or type of health service rendered, or
(3) Increase, decrease, or change the class of usage of the bed complement of a health care facility. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 323D-2
- Obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period.
- Person: means an individual or a natural person, a trust or estate, a society, a firm, an assembly, a partnership, a corporation, a professional corporation, an association, the State, any political subdivision of the State, a county, a state agency or any instrumentality of the State, a county agency or any instrumentality of a county. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 323D-2
- Quorum: The number of legislators that must be present to do business.
- Review panel: means the panel established pursuant to section 323D-42. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 323D-2
- State agency: means the state health planning and development agency established in section 323D-11. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 323D-2
- State health services and facilities plan: means the comprehensive plan for the economical delivery of health services in the State prepared by the statewide council. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 323D-2
- Statewide council: means the statewide health coordinating council established in section 323D-13. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 323D-2
- Statute: A law passed by a legislature.
- Subarea: means one of the geographic subareas designated by the state agency pursuant to section 323D-21. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 323D-2
- Subarea council: means a subarea health planning council established pursuant to section 323D-21. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 323D-2
- Subpoena: A command to a witness to appear and give testimony.
- Testify: Answer questions in court.