|Part I||General Provisions||671D-1 – 671D-4|
|Part II||Promotion of Professional Review Activities||671D-10 – 671D-14|
Terms Used In Hawaii Revised Statutes > Chapter 671D
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- Cross examine: Questioning of a witness by the attorney for the other side.
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- Defendant: In a civil suit, the person complained against; in a criminal case, the person accused of the crime.
- Department: means the department of health. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 342D-1
- Effluent: means any substance discharged into state waters, publicly owned treatment works, or sewerage systems, including, but not limited to, sewage, waste, garbage, feculent matter, offal, filth, refuse, any animal, mineral, or vegetable matter or substance, and any liquid, gaseous, or solid substances. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 342D-1
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Liabilities: The aggregate of all debts and other legal obligations of a particular person or legal entity.
- Litigation: A case, controversy, or lawsuit. Participants (plaintiffs and defendants) in lawsuits are called litigants.
- Permit: means written authorization from the director to discharge waste or to construct, modify, or operate any water pollution source. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 342D-1
- Person: means any individual, partnership, firm, association, public or private corporation, federal agency, the State or any of its political subdivisions, trust, estate, or any other legal entity. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 342D-1
- Plaintiff: The person who files the complaint in a civil lawsuit.
- Sewerage system: means pipelines or conduits, pumping stations, and force mains, and all other structures, devices, appurtenances, and facilities used for collecting or conducting wastes to an ultimate point for treatment or disposal. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 342D-1
- Testify: Answer questions in court.
- Treatment works: means any plant or other facility used for the purpose of controlling water pollution. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 342D-1
- Water pollutant: means dredged spoil, solid refuse, incinerator residue, sewage, garbage, sewage sludge, munitions, chemical waste, biological materials, radioactive materials, heat, wrecked or discarded equipment, rock, sand, soil, sediment, cellar dirt and industrial, municipal, and agricultural waste. See Hawaii Revised Statutes 342D-1