Terms Used In Indiana Code > Title 34 > Article 18
- Annuity: A periodic (usually annual) payment of a fixed sum of money for either the life of the recipient or for a fixed number of years. A series of payments under a contract from an insurance company, a trust company, or an individual. Annuity payments are made at regular intervals over a period of more than one full year.
- authority: refers to the Indiana stadium and convention building authority created by this chapter. See Indiana Code 5-1-17-1
- Bequest: Property gifted by will.
- board: refers to the board of directors of the authority. See Indiana Code 5-1-17-2
- bonds: means bonds, notes, commercial paper, or other evidences of indebtedness. See Indiana Code 5-1-17-3
- capital improvement board: refers to a capital improvement board of managers created by Indiana Code 5-1-17-4
- Continuance: Putting off of a hearing ot trial until a later time.
- cost of the periodic payments agreement: means the amount expended by the health care provider (or its insurer), the commissioner, or the commissioner and the health care provider (or its insurer), at the time the periodic payments agreement is made, to obtain the commitment from a third party to make available money for use as future payment, the total of which may exceed the limits provided in section 3 of this chapter. See Indiana Code 34-18-14-1
- Devise: To gift property by will.
- Discovery: Lawyers' examination, before trial, of facts and documents in possession of the opponents to help the lawyers prepare for trial.
- Gift: A voluntary transfer or conveyance of property without consideration, or for less than full and adequate consideration based on fair market value.
- periodic payments agreement: means a contract between a health care provider (or its insurer) and the patient (or the patient's estate), under which the health care provider is relieved from possible liability in consideration of:
Indiana Code 34-18-14-2
- Pleadings: Written statements of the parties in a civil case of their positions. In the federal courts, the principal pleadings are the complaint and the answer.
- state agency: has the meaning set forth in Indiana Code 5-1-17-5
- Statute of limitations: A law that sets the time within which parties must take action to enforce their rights.
- Tort: A civil wrong or breach of a duty to another person, as outlined by law. A very common tort is negligent operation of a motor vehicle that results in property damage and personal injury in an automobile accident.
- Trustee: A person or institution holding and administering property in trust.
- Venue: The geographical location in which a case is tried.