(1) A health insurer that provides disability insurance as defined in section 41-503, Idaho Code, including self-insured plans, group health plans as defined in section 607(1) of the employee retirement income security act of 1974, service benefit plans, managed care organizations, pharmacy benefit managers or other parties that are by statute, contract or agreement legally responsible for payment of a claim for a health care item or service with respect to medical assistance programs under chapter 2, title 56, Idaho Code, shall, as a condition of doing business in the state of Idaho, cooperate with the Idaho department of health and welfare by doing the following:
(a) Provide, with respect to an individual who is eligible for or who is or has been provided medical assistance under chapter 2, title 56, Idaho Code, within sixty (60) days of a request of the department, information to determine the period the individual or the individual’s spouse or dependents are, or have been, covered by the insurer and the nature of that coverage. The information shall include the name and address of the insurer and the identifying number of the health care insurance plan. The format of the information provided shall include the data elements, medium and frequency of reporting, any costs of the insurer to be reimbursed and procedures that will be followed when a data match is found;
(b) Accept the department’s right of recovery on behalf of the state of Idaho, and the assignment to the department of any right of an individual or other entity to payment from the party for an item or service for which payment has been made under chapter 2, title 56, Idaho Code;
(c) Respond to any inquiry by the department regarding a claim for payment for any health care item or service submitted not later than three (3) years after the date of the provision of the health care item or service; and
(d) Agree not to deny a claim submitted by the department solely on the basis of the date of submission of the claim, the type or format of the claim form, or a failure to present proper documentation at the point-of-sale that is the basis of the claim, if:
(i) The claim is submitted by the department within the three (3) year period beginning on the date on which the item or service was furnished; and
(ii) Any action by the department to enforce its rights with respect to the claim is commenced within six (6) years after the department’s submission of the claim.
Terms Used In Idaho Code 41-318
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- State: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the territories; and the words "United States" may include the District of Columbia and territories. See Idaho Code 73-114
- Statute: A law passed by a legislature.
(2) Failure to cooperate with the department as set forth in subsection (1) of this section shall subject the insurer to suspension or revocation of its certificate of authority pursuant to section 41-326, Idaho Code.