Terms Used In Idaho Code > Title 54 > Chapter 3
- Architect: means a person who engages in the practice of architecture as defined in this section and is licensed under the provisions of this chapter. See Idaho Code 54-303
- Board: means the board of architectural examiners. See Idaho Code 54-303
- Building: means an enclosure, including related improvements, that has as its principal purpose the adaptation of space for occupancy or habitation by human beings. See Idaho Code 54-303
- Chambers: A judge's office.
- Complaint: A written statement by the plaintiff stating the wrongs allegedly committed by the defendant.
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Defendant: In a civil suit, the person complained against; in a criminal case, the person accused of the crime.
- Discovery: Lawyers' examination, before trial, of facts and documents in possession of the opponents to help the lawyers prepare for trial.
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Felony: A crime carrying a penalty of more than a year in prison.
- Injunction: An order of the court prohibiting (or compelling) the performance of a specific act to prevent irreparable damage or injury.
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- person: includes a corporation as well as a natural person;
Idaho Code 73-114
Practice of architecture: means rendering or offering those services described in this subsection in connection with the design, construction, enlargement or alteration of a building or a group of buildings. See Idaho Code 54-303 Probation: A sentencing alternative to imprisonment in which the court releases convicted defendants under supervision as long as certain conditions are observed. Prototypical building: means any commercial building or space within a commercial building that is intended to be constructed in multiple locations, that has been constructed in multiple locations and that conveys an owner’s intended uniform business program, plan or image. See Idaho Code 54-303 Quorum: The number of legislators that must be present to do business. Responsible control: means that amount of control over and detailed knowledge of the content of technical submissions during their preparation as is ordinarily exercised by registered architects applying the required professional standard of care. See Idaho Code 54-303 seal: includes an impression of such seal upon the paper, alone, as well as upon wax or a wafer affixed thereto; or, alternatively, the seal may be the mark of a rubber stamp providing substantially the same information as the impression. See Idaho Code 73-111 State: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the territories; and the words "United States" may include the District of Columbia and territories. See Idaho Code 73-114 Subpoena: A command to a witness to appear and give testimony. Subpoena duces tecum: A command to a witness to produce documents. Testify: Answer questions in court. Trial: A hearing that takes place when the defendant pleads "not guilty" and witnesses are required to come to court to give evidence. Writ: signifies an order or precept in writing, issued in the name of the people, or of a court or judicial officer, and the word "process" a writ or summons issued in the course of judicial proceedings. See Idaho Code 73-114