Terms Used In Illinois Compiled Statutes 730 ILCS 110/14
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Gift: A voluntary transfer or conveyance of property without consideration, or for less than full and adequate consideration based on fair market value.
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- Probation: A sentencing alternative to imprisonment in which the court releases convicted defendants under supervision as long as certain conditions are observed.
- Probation officers: Screen applicants for pretrial release and monitor convicted offenders released under court supervision.
The amount of compensation to be paid any court services or probation officer, including a director of a court services department or a chief probation officer appointed by any circuit court, shall be determined by the county boards of the several counties in which such officers, respectively, are appointed, and shall be paid by the county treasurer on the warrant of the county comptroller or other person authorized to issue warrants on the county treasurer; and such salary and reimbursement for expenses of such chiefs and probation officers serving throughout such circuit or probation officer district shall be apportioned between such counties on the basis of their population as determined by the last national census, and the respective portions thereof shall be paid by the county treasurer upon warrants issued by the Chief Circuit Judge. All such expenses after being certified by the Chief Circuit Judge, and approved by the board of such county, shall be paid by the county treasurer on warrant by the proper county officer. No probation officer receiving compensation from any public funds under the provisions of this Act shall receive any compensation, gift or gratuity whatsoever from any person, firm or corporation for doing or refraining from doing any official act in any way connected with any proceeding then pending or about to be instituted in any court with which the probation officer has to do. Any probation officer receiving compensation from any public funds under this Act, who receives any compensation, gift or gratuity whatever from any person, firm or corporation for doing or refraining from doing any official act in any way connected with any proceeding then pending or about to be instituted in any court with which the probation officer has to do, is guilty of a misdemeanor, and shall be punished accordingly, and shall be immediately removed.