Terms Used In Illinois Compiled Statutes > 775 ILCS 30 - White Cane Law
- Answer: The formal written statement by a defendant responding to a civil complaint and setting forth the grounds for defense.
- Dismissal: The dropping of a case by the judge without further consideration or hearing. Source:
- Injunction: An order of the court prohibiting (or compelling) the performance of a specific act to prevent irreparable damage or injury.
- Plaintiff: The person who files the complaint in a civil lawsuit.
- Temporary restraining order: Prohibits a person from an action that is likely to cause irreparable harm. This differs from an injunction in that it may be granted immediately, without notice to the opposing party, and without a hearing. It is intended to last only until a hearing can be held.