|20 ILCS 1405||Civil Administrative Code of Illinois. (Department of Insurance Law)|
|20 ILCS 1410||Burn Victims Relief Act|
Terms Used In Illinois Compiled Statutes > Chapter 20 > Dpt Of Insurance
- Aggregate extension base: means the taxing district's last preceding aggregate extension as adjusted under Sections 18-135, 18-215, 18-230, and 18-206. See Illinois Compiled Statutes 35 ILCS 200/18-185
- Answer: The formal written statement by a defendant responding to a civil complaint and setting forth the grounds for defense.
- Baseline: Projection of the receipts, outlays, and other budget amounts that would ensue in the future without any change in existing policy. Baseline projections are used to gauge the extent to which proposed legislation, if enacted into law, would alter current spending and revenue levels.
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- decree: is synonymous with the word "judgment". See Illinois Compiled Statutes 5 ILCS 70/1.24
- Deposition: An oral statement made before an officer authorized by law to administer oaths. Such statements are often taken to examine potential witnesses, to obtain discovery, or to be used later in trial.
- Discovery: Lawyers' examination, before trial, of facts and documents in possession of the opponents to help the lawyers prepare for trial.
- Garnishment: Generally, garnishment is a court proceeding in which a creditor asks a court to order a third party who owes money to the debtor or otherwise holds assets belonging to the debtor to turn over to the creditor any of the debtor
- General Revenue Law of Illinois: or any equivalent expression, when used with reference to revenue, shall be deemed to refer to the Property Tax Code and all existing and future amendments thereto and modifications thereof, and all rules now or hereafter adopted pursuant thereto. See Illinois Compiled Statutes 5 ILCS 70/1.23
- Heretofore: means any time previous to the day on which the statute takes effect; and the word "hereafter" at any time after such day. See Illinois Compiled Statutes 5 ILCS 70/1.17
- Joint resolution: A legislative measure which requires the approval of both chambers.
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- Liabilities: The aggregate of all debts and other legal obligations of a particular person or legal entity.
- limiting rate: means a fraction the numerator of which is the last preceding aggregate extension base times an amount equal to one plus the extension limitation defined in this Section and the denominator of which is the current year's equalized assessed value of all real property in the territory under the jurisdiction of the taxing district during the prior levy year. See Illinois Compiled Statutes 35 ILCS 200/18-185
- Minority leader: See Floor Leaders
- owner: means a person, other than the offender, who has possession of or any other interest in the property involved, even though such interest or possession is unlawful, and without whose consent the offender has no authority to exert control over the property. See Illinois Compiled Statutes 720 ILCS 5/15-2
- Petty offense: A federal misdemeanor punishable by six months or less in prison. Source: U.S. Courts
- Probation: A sentencing alternative to imprisonment in which the court releases convicted defendants under supervision as long as certain conditions are observed.
- property: means anything of value. See Illinois Compiled Statutes 720 ILCS 5/15-1
- Quorum: The number of legislators that must be present to do business.
- Remand: When an appellate court sends a case back to a lower court for further proceedings.
- Statute of limitations: A law that sets the time within which parties must take action to enforce their rights.
- taxing district: includes only each non-home rule taxing district having the majority of its 1990 equalized assessed value within any county or counties contiguous to a county with 3,000,000 or more inhabitants. See Illinois Compiled Statutes 35 ILCS 200/18-185
- Tort: A civil wrong or breach of a duty to another person, as outlined by law. A very common tort is negligent operation of a motor vehicle that results in property damage and personal injury in an automobile accident.
- Trustee: A person or institution holding and administering property in trust.
- Venue: The geographical location in which a case is tried.