Sec. 1. A parent may request a court to issue a protective order against the other parent to prevent domestic or family violence at any time after a final decree of paternity is issued under this article (or IC 31-6-6.1 before its repeal) if the parties have an unemancipated child. The parent must file a petition under IC 34-26-5 in the court in which the case is pending, and the court may not require the moving party to give security. If the petitioner requests an ex parte protective order, the court shall immediately:

(1) review the request; and

(2) if required, set a hearing;

under IC 34-26-5. The procedure and law for a proceeding under this section are controlled by IC 34-26-5.

[Pre-1997 Recodification Citation: 31-6-6.1-12.5(a).]

As added by P.L.1-1997, SEC.6. Amended by P.L.133-2002, SEC.26; P.L.221-2003, SEC.4.