Sec. 1. All courts have the authority to:
(1) appoint a guardian ad litem to defend the interests of any person under eighteen (18) years of age impleaded in a suit; and
(2) permit any person, as next friend, to prosecute a suit in a minor‘s behalf.
Terms Used In Indiana Code 34-9-2-1
- Guardian: A person legally empowered and charged with the duty of taking care of and managing the property of another person who because of age, intellect, or health, is incapable of managing his (her) own affairs.
- minor: means a person less than eighteen (18) years of age. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- Prosecute: To charge someone with a crime. A prosecutor tries a criminal case on behalf of the government.
[Pre-1998 Recodification Citation: 34-2-3-1.]
As added by P.L.1-1998, SEC.4.