(b) If the court finds, based on the results of the Indiana pretrial risk assessment system (if available) and other relevant factors, that an arrestee does not present a substantial risk of flight or danger to the arrestee or others, the court shall consider releasing the arrestee without money bail or surety, subject to restrictions and conditions as determined by the court, unless one (1) or more of the following apply:
Terms Used In Indiana Code 35-33-8-3.8
- Arrest: Taking physical custody of a person by lawful authority.
- Bail: Security given for the release of a criminal defendant or witness from legal custody (usually in the form of money) to secure his/her appearance on the day and time appointed.
- Probation: A sentencing alternative to imprisonment in which the court releases convicted defendants under supervision as long as certain conditions are observed.
(2) The arrestee is on pretrial release not related to the incident that is the basis for the present arrest.
(3) The arrestee is on probation, parole, or other community supervision.
The court is not required to administer an assessment before releasing an arrestee if administering the assessment will delay the arrestee’s release.
As added by P.L.187-2017, SEC.7.