(1) Of the net amount in the motor vehicle highway account the auditor of state shall set aside for the cities and towns of the state twelve and thirteen hundredths percent (12.13%). This sum shall be allocated to the cities and towns upon the basis that the population of each city and town bears to the total population of all the cities and towns and shall be used for the construction or reconstruction and maintenance of streets and alleys and shall be annually budgeted as now provided by law. However, no part of such sum shall be used for any other purpose than for the purposes defined in this chapter. If any funds allocated to any city or town shall be used by any officer or officers of such city or town for any purpose or purposes other than for the purposes as defined in this chapter, such officer or officers shall be liable upon their official bonds to such city or town in such amount so used for other purposes than for the purposes as defined in this chapter, together with the costs of said action and reasonable attorney fees, recoverable in an action or suit instituted in the name of the state of Indiana on the relation of any taxpayer or taxpayers resident of such city or town. A monthly distribution thereof of funds accumulated during the preceding month shall be made by the auditor of state.
Terms Used In Indiana Code 8-14-1-3
- Attorney: includes a counselor or other person authorized to appear and represent a party in an action or special proceeding. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- construction: means the planning, supervising, inspecting, actual building, draining, and all expenses incidental to the construction of a highway. See Indiana Code 8-14-1-1
- department: refers to the Indiana department of transportation. See Indiana Code 8-14-1-1
- Fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006.
- Highway: includes county bridges and state and county roads, unless otherwise expressly provided. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- highways: includes roadway, rights of way, bridges, drainage structures, signs, guard rails, protective structures in connection with highways, drains, culverts, and bridges and the substructure and superstructure of bridges and approaches thereto and streets and alleys of cities or towns. See Indiana Code 8-14-1-1
- maintenance: when used in reference to cities, towns, and counties as applied to that part of the highway other than bridges, means the constant making of needed repairs, to preserve a smooth surfaced highway, adequately drained, marked and guarded by protective structures for public safety and, as to bridges, means the constant making of needed repairs to preserve a smooth surfaced highway thereon and the safety and preservation of the bridge and its approaches, together with the substructure and superstructure thereof; and such term also means and includes the acquisition and use, in any manner, of all needed equipment, fuel, materials, and supplies essential and incident thereto. See Indiana Code 8-14-1-1
- Month: means a calendar month, unless otherwise expressed. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- Motor vehicle highway account: means the account of the general fund of the state known as the "motor vehicle highway account" to which is credited collections from motor vehicle registration fees, licenses, driver's and chauffeur's license fees, gasoline taxes, auto transfer fees, certificate of title fees, weight taxes or excise taxes and all other similar special taxes, duties or excises of all kinds on motor vehicles, trailers, motor vehicle fuel, or motor vehicle owners or operators. See Indiana Code 8-14-1-1
- Population: has the meaning set forth in IC 1-1-3. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- reconstruction: means a widening or a rebuilding of the highway or any portion thereof. See Indiana Code 8-14-1-1
- Remainder: An interest in property that takes effect in the future at a specified time or after the occurrence of some event, such as the death of a life tenant.
- vehicle registration: means the number of vehicles subject to registration under IC 9-18 (before January 1, 2017) or IC 9-18. See Indiana Code 8-14-1-1
- Year: means a calendar year, unless otherwise expressed. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
(3) The amount set aside for the counties of the state under the provisions of subdivision (2) shall be allocated monthly upon the following basis:
(A) Five percent (5%) of the amount allocated to the counties to be divided equally among the ninety-two (92) counties.
(B) Sixty-five percent (65%) of the amount allocated to the counties to be divided on the basis of the ratio of the actual miles, now traveled and in use, of county roads in each county to the total mileage of county roads in the state, which shall be annually determined, accurately, by the department and submitted to the auditor of state before April 1 of each year.
(C) Thirty percent (30%) of the amount allocated to the counties to be divided on the basis of the ratio of the motor vehicle registrations of each county to the total motor vehicle registration of the state. The bureau of motor vehicles shall annually determine the amount under this clause and submit its determination to the auditor of state before April 1 each year.
All money so distributed to the several counties of the state shall constitute a special road fund for each of the respective counties and shall be under the exclusive supervision and direction of the board of county commissioners in the construction, reconstruction, maintenance, or repair of the county highways or bridges on such county highways within such county.
(4) Each month the remainder of the net amount in the motor vehicle highway account shall be credited to the state highway fund for the use of the department.
(5) Money in the fund may not be used for any toll road or toll bridge project.
(6) Notwithstanding any other provisions of this section, money in the motor vehicle highway account fund may be appropriated to the Indiana department of transportation from the amounts distributed to the political subdivisions of the state to pay the costs incurred by the department in providing services to those subdivisions.
(7) Notwithstanding any other provisions of this section or of IC 8-14-8, for the purpose of maintaining a sufficient working balance in accounts established primarily to facilitate the matching of federal and local money for highway projects, money may be appropriated to the Indiana department of transportation as follows:
(A) One-half (1/2) from the amounts set aside under subdivisions (1) and (2) for counties and for those cities and towns with a population greater than five thousand (5,000).
(B) One-half (1/2) from the distressed road fund under IC 8-14-8.
Formerly: Acts 1941, c.168, s.3; Acts 1943, c.221, s.1; Acts 1945, c.275, s.1; Acts 1949, c.270, s.1; Acts 1965, c.223, s.1. As amended by Acts 1980, P.L.74, SEC.215; Acts 1981, P.L.41, SEC.49; P.L.113-1983, SEC.1; P.L.18-1990, SEC.107; P.L.2-1990, SEC.10; P.L.205-2013, SEC.134; P.L.261-2013, SEC.40; P.L.2-2014, SEC.33; P.L.218-2017, SEC.61; P.L.185-2018, SEC.21; P.L.108-2019, SEC.152.