|Chapter 1||General Provisions|
|Chapter 3||Effect of Recodification by Senate Enrolled Act 24 of the 1993 Regular Session of the General Assembly|
|Chapter 4||Hospital Police Departments|
Terms Used In Indiana Code > Title 16 > Article 18 - General Provisions and Definitions
- Amendment: A proposal to alter the text of a pending bill or other measure by striking out some of it, by inserting new language, or both. Before an amendment becomes part of the measure, thelegislature must agree to it.
- Arrest: Taking physical custody of a person by lawful authority.
- board: refers to the board of directors of the corporation. See Indiana Code 4-3-17-1
- Charity: An agency, institution, or organization in existence and operating for the benefit of an indefinite number of persons and conducted for educational, religious, scientific, medical, or other beneficent purposes.
- Common law: The legal system that originated in England and is now in use in the United States. It is based on judicial decisions rather than legislative action.
- Concurrent resolution: A legislative measure, designated "S. Con. Res." and numbered consecutively upon introduction, generally employed to address the sentiments of both chambers, to deal with issues or matters affecting both houses, such as a concurrent budget resolution, or to create a temporary joint committee. Concurrent resolutions are not submitted to the President/Governor and thus do not have the force of law.
- corporation: refers to the Hoosier alliance against drugs established under this chapter. See Indiana Code 4-3-17-2
- Donor: The person who makes a gift.
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Executor: A male person named in a will to carry out the decedent
- Fair market value: The price at which an asset would change hands in a transaction between a willing, informed buyer and a willing, informed seller.
- Fiduciary: A trustee, executor, or administrator.
- Guardian: A person legally empowered and charged with the duty of taking care of and managing the property of another person who because of age, intellect, or health, is incapable of managing his (her) own affairs.
- hospital: includes a health system. See Indiana Code 16-18-4-1.5
- Judgment: means all final orders, decrees, and determinations in an action and all orders upon which executions may issue. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- Jurisdiction: (1) The legal authority of a court to hear and decide a case. Concurrent jurisdiction exists when two courts have simultaneous responsibility for the same case. (2) The geographic area over which the court has authority to decide cases.
- minor: means a person less than eighteen (18) years of age. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- Obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period.
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- prior health and hospital law: refers to the statutes that are repealed or amended in senate enrolled act 24 of the 1993 regular session of the general assembly as the statutes existed before the effective date of the applicable or corresponding provision of senate enrolled act 24 of the 1993 regular session of the general assembly. See Indiana Code 16-18-3-1
- United States: includes the District of Columbia and the commonwealths, possessions, states in free association with the United States, and the territories. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- Venue: The geographical location in which a case is tried.
- Verified: when applied to pleadings, means supported by oath or affirmation in writing. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5