Terms Used In Indiana Code > Title 22 > Article 4.1 - Department of Workforce Development
- accreditation: means certification of a status of approval or authorization by the department to conduct business as a postsecondary proprietary educational institution. See Indiana Code 22-4.1-21-2
- administrative law judge: means an individual who presides over an administrative proceeding that results in a finding of fact determining the legal rights, duties, or privileges of a party after an opportunity for an evidentiary hearing. See Indiana Code 4-15-10.5-3
- Affidavit: A written statement of facts confirmed by the oath of the party making it, before a notary or officer having authority to administer oaths.
- Agency: means any state administration, agency, authority, board, bureau, commission, committee, council, department, division, institution, office, service, or other similar body of state government created or established by law. See Indiana Code 4-15-10-1
- agency: means an authority, board, branch, bureau, commission, committee, council, department, division, office, service, or other instrumentality of the executive, including the administrative, department of state government. See Indiana Code 4-15-10.5-4
- agent: means a person who:
Indiana Code 22-4.1-21-3
- Answer: The formal written statement by a defendant responding to a civil complaint and setting forth the grounds for defense.
- application: means a written request for accreditation or an agent's permit on forms supplied by the department. See Indiana Code 22-4.1-21-5
- Appropriation: The provision of funds, through an annual appropriations act or a permanent law, for federal agencies to make payments out of the Treasury for specified purposes. The formal federal spending process consists of two sequential steps: authorization
- Assets: (1) The property comprising the estate of a deceased person, or (2) the property in a trust account.
- Attorney: includes a counselor or other person authorized to appear and represent a party in an action or special proceeding. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- Bankruptcy: Refers to statutes and judicial proceedings involving persons or businesses that cannot pay their debts and seek the assistance of the court in getting a fresh start. Under the protection of the bankruptcy court, debtors may discharge their debts, perhaps by paying a portion of each debt. Bankruptcy judges preside over these proceedings.
- cabinet: refers to the governor's workforce cabinet established by IC § 4-3-27-3. See Indiana Code 22-4.1-27-1
- career and technical education: means any postsecondary vocational, agricultural, occupational, manpower, employment, or technical training or retraining of less than a baccalaureate level that:
Indiana Code 22-4.1-19-1
- classified employee: means an employee who:
Indiana Code 4-15-2.2-4
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- cost per graduate: means an amount equal to:
Indiana Code 22-4.1-27-2
- course: means a plan or program of instruction or training, whether conducted in person, by mail, or by any other method. See Indiana Code 22-4.1-21-6
- Damages: Money paid by defendants to successful plaintiffs in civil cases to compensate the plaintiffs for their injuries.
- department: refers to the state personnel department established by section 13 of this chapter. See Indiana Code 4-15-2.2-6
- director: refers to the state personnel director appointed under section 14 of this chapter. See Indiana Code 4-15-2.2-7
- director: means the director of the office of administrative law proceedings. See Indiana Code 4-15-10.5-5
- eligible program provider: means an accredited public, nonprofit, or private diploma granting institution with at least two (2) years of experience providing adult dropout recovery services that:
Indiana Code 22-4.1-27-4
- eligible provider: has the meaning set forth in 29 U. See Indiana Code 22-4.1-20-1
- Employee: means an employee of an agency except an elected official. See Indiana Code 4-15-10-1
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Fraud: Intentional deception resulting in injury to another.
- fund: refers to the student assurance fund established by section 18 of this chapter. See Indiana Code 22-4.1-21-7
- graduation rate: means the percentage, out of the total number of students who enrolled in the program during the state fiscal year that precedes the immediately preceding state fiscal year, of students who graduated in the two (2) immediately preceding state fiscal years and for whom the approved eligible provider received reimbursement under this chapter. See Indiana Code 22-4.1-27-5
- Guardian: A person legally empowered and charged with the duty of taking care of and managing the property of another person who because of age, intellect, or health, is incapable of managing his (her) own affairs.
- in writing: include printing, lithographing, or other mode of representing words and letters. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- Indemnification: In general, a collateral contract or assurance under which one person agrees to secure another person against either anticipated financial losses or potential adverse legal consequences. Source: FDIC
- Injunction: An order of the court prohibiting (or compelling) the performance of a specific act to prevent irreparable damage or injury.
- Liabilities: The aggregate of all debts and other legal obligations of a particular person or legal entity.
- medical record: means written or printed information possessed by a provider (as defined in IC § 16-18-2-295) concerning any diagnosis, treatment, or prognosis of the patient, unless otherwise defined. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- Month: means a calendar month, unless otherwise expressed. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- Obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period.
- office: means the office of administrative law proceedings established by section 7 of this chapter. See Indiana Code 4-15-10.5-6
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- person: means an individual, a partnership, a limited liability company, an association, a corporation, a joint venture, a trust, a receiver, or a trustee in bankruptcy. See Indiana Code 22-4.1-21-8
- Plaintiff: The person who files the complaint in a civil lawsuit.
- postsecondary proprietary educational institution: means a person doing business in Indiana by offering to the public, for a tuition, fee, or charge, instructional or educational services or training in a technical, professional, mechanical, business, or industrial occupation, in the recipient's home, at a designated location, or by mail. See Indiana Code 22-4.1-21-9
- program: refers to a workforce related program (as defined in IC § 22-4. See Indiana Code 22-4.1-24-1
- program: refers to the work ethic certificate program established under section 2 of this chapter. See Indiana Code 22-4.1-25-1
- program: refers to the next level jobs employer training grant program established by section 2 of this chapter. See Indiana Code 22-4.1-26-1
- program: refers to the workforce diploma reimbursement program established by section 7 of this chapter. See Indiana Code 22-4.1-27-6
- Property: includes personal and real property. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- Remainder: An interest in property that takes effect in the future at a specified time or after the occurrence of some event, such as the death of a life tenant.
- Remand: When an appellate court sends a case back to a lower court for further proceedings.
- school: includes a public school, a charter school, a state accredited nonpublic school (as defined in IC § 20-18-2-18. See Indiana Code 22-4.1-25-1.5
- state board: refers to the Indiana state board of education established by:
Indiana Code 22-4.1-19-2
- Statute: A law passed by a legislature.
- Subpoena: A command to a witness to appear and give testimony.
- Supervisor: means an individual who oversees the daily activity of an employee. See Indiana Code 4-15-10-1
- Testimony: Evidence presented orally by witnesses during trials or before grand juries.
- Transcript: A written, word-for-word record of what was said, either in a proceeding such as a trial or during some other conversation, as in a transcript of a hearing or oral deposition.
- Trustee: A person or institution holding and administering property in trust.
- United States: includes the District of Columbia and the commonwealths, possessions, states in free association with the United States, and the territories. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- Verified: when applied to pleadings, means supported by oath or affirmation in writing. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- veteran: includes "Hoosier veteran" and applies to the construction of all Indiana statutes, unless the construction is expressly excluded by the terms of the statute, is plainly repugnant to the intent of the general assembly or of the context of the statute, or is inconsistent with federal law. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- work Indiana program: means the short term certification training program developed and administered by the department for individuals enrolled in adult education. See Indiana Code 22-4.1-20-1.5
- Year: means a calendar year, unless otherwise expressed. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5