Indiana Code > Title 27 > Article 13 – Health Maintenance Organizations
Current as of: 2022 | Check for updates | Other versions
Terms Used In Indiana Code > Title 27 > Article 13 - Health Maintenance Organizations
- Amendment: A proposal to alter the text of a pending bill or other measure by striking out some of it, by inserting new language, or both. Before an amendment becomes part of the measure, thelegislature must agree to it.
- Assets: (1) The property comprising the estate of a deceased person, or (2) the property in a trust account.
- Autism: means a neurological condition as described in the most recent edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders of the American Psychiatric Association. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- Bankruptcy: Refers to statutes and judicial proceedings involving persons or businesses that cannot pay their debts and seek the assistance of the court in getting a fresh start. Under the protection of the bankruptcy court, debtors may discharge their debts, perhaps by paying a portion of each debt. Bankruptcy judges preside over these proceedings.
- Baseline: Projection of the receipts, outlays, and other budget amounts that would ensue in the future without any change in existing policy. Baseline projections are used to gauge the extent to which proposed legislation, if enacted into law, would alter current spending and revenue levels.
- Charity: An agency, institution, or organization in existence and operating for the benefit of an indefinite number of persons and conducted for educational, religious, scientific, medical, or other beneficent purposes.
- clean claim: means a claim submitted by a provider for payment for health care services provided to an enrollee that has no defect, impropriety, or particular circumstance requiring special treatment preventing payment. See Indiana Code 27-13-36.2-1
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- Dependent: A person dependent for support upon another.
- discontinuance: means the termination of the contract between a group contract holder and a health maintenance organization due to the receivership of the health maintenance organization. See Indiana Code 27-13-19-1
- Discovery: Lawyers' examination, before trial, of facts and documents in possession of the opponents to help the lawyers prepare for trial.
- enrollee: means an individual who is entitled to limited health services under a contract with an entity authorized to provide or arrange for limited health services under this chapter. See Indiana Code 27-13-34-1
- evidence of coverage: means the certificate, agreement, or contract issued under section 13 of this chapter setting forth the coverage to which an enrollee is entitled. See Indiana Code 27-13-34-2
- Fair market value: The price at which an asset would change hands in a transaction between a willing, informed buyer and a willing, informed seller.
- Fiduciary: A trustee, executor, or administrator.
- Grace period: The number of days you'll have to pay your bill for purchases in full without triggering a finance charge. Source: Federal Reserve
- health maintenance organization: includes :
Indiana Code 27-13-36.2-2
- Interest rate: The amount paid by a borrower to a lender in exchange for the use of the lender's money for a certain period of time. Interest is paid on loans or on debt instruments, such as notes or bonds, either at regular intervals or as part of a lump sum payment when the issue matures. Source: OCC
- Lease: A contract transferring the use of property or occupancy of land, space, structures, or equipment in consideration of a payment (e.g., rent). Source: OCC
- Liabilities: The aggregate of all debts and other legal obligations of a particular person or legal entity.
- Lien: A claim against real or personal property in satisfaction of a debt.
- limited health services: refers to :
Indiana Code 27-13-34-3
- limited service health maintenance organization: means a corporation, partnership, limited liability company, or other entity that undertakes to provide or arrange a limited health service on a prepayment basis or other basis. See Indiana Code 27-13-34-4
- Litigation: A case, controversy, or lawsuit. Participants (plaintiffs and defendants) in lawsuits are called litigants.
- Month: means a calendar month, unless otherwise expressed. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- net worth: means the excess of total assets over total liabilities, excluding liabilities that have been subordinated in a manner acceptable to the commissioner. See Indiana Code 27-13-12-1
- Nolo contendere: No contest-has the same effect as a plea of guilty, as far as the criminal sentence is concerned, but may not be considered as an admission of guilt for any other purpose.
- Obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period.
- Oversight: Committee review of the activities of a Federal agency or program.
- Plea: In a criminal case, the defendant's statement pleading "guilty" or "not guilty" in answer to the charges, a declaration made in open court.
- Population: has the meaning set forth in IC § 1-1-3. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- Power of attorney: A written instrument which authorizes one person to act as another's agent or attorney. The power of attorney may be for a definite, specific act, or it may be general in nature. The terms of the written power of attorney may specify when it will expire. If not, the power of attorney usually expires when the person granting it dies. Source: OCC
- Presiding officer: A majority-party Senator who presides over the Senate and is charged with maintaining order and decorum, recognizing Members to speak, and interpreting the Senate's rules, practices and precedents.
- provider: means a physician, a dentist, an optometrist, a health facility, or other person or institution that is licensed or otherwise authorized to deliver or furnish limited health service. See Indiana Code 27-13-34-5
- Settlement: Parties to a lawsuit resolve their difference without having a trial. Settlements often involve the payment of compensation by one party in satisfaction of the other party's claims.
- Subpoena: A command to a witness to appear and give testimony.
- subscriber: means a person whose employment status or other status, except for family dependency, is the basis for eligibility for limited health services under a contract with an entity authorized to provide or arrange for limited health services under this chapter. See Indiana Code 27-13-34-6
- Trial: A hearing that takes place when the defendant pleads "not guilty" and witnesses are required to come to court to give evidence.
- Trustee: A person or institution holding and administering property in trust.
- United States: includes the District of Columbia and the commonwealths, possessions, states in free association with the United States, and the territories. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- Uphold: The decision of an appellate court not to reverse a lower court decision.
- Verified: when applied to pleadings, means supported by oath or affirmation in writing. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- veteran: includes "Hoosier veteran" and applies to the construction of all Indiana statutes, unless the construction is expressly excluded by the terms of the statute, is plainly repugnant to the intent of the general assembly or of the context of the statute, or is inconsistent with federal law. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5