Terms Used In Indiana Code > Title 34 > Article 18 > Chapter 14 - Limits on Damages
- Contract: A legal written agreement that becomes binding when signed.
- cost of the periodic payments agreement: means the amount expended by the health care provider (or its insurer), the commissioner, or the commissioner and the health care provider (or its insurer), at the time the periodic payments agreement is made, to obtain the commitment from a third party to make available money for use as future payment, the total of which may exceed the limits provided in section 3 of this chapter. See Indiana Code 34-18-14-1
- Judgment: means all final orders, decrees, and determinations in an action and all orders upon which executions may issue. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- periodic payments agreement: means a contract between a health care provider (or its insurer) and the patient (or the patient's estate), under which the health care provider is relieved from possible liability in consideration of:
Indiana Code 34-18-14-2
- Settlement: Parties to a lawsuit resolve their difference without having a trial. Settlements often involve the payment of compensation by one party in satisfaction of the other party's claims.