Terms Used In Indiana Code > Title 35 > Article 40
- Allegation: something that someone says happened.
- claimant: means a victim filing an application for assistance under this chapter. See Indiana Code 5-2-6.1-1
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- Deposition: An oral statement made before an officer authorized by law to administer oaths. Such statements are often taken to examine potential witnesses, to obtain discovery, or to be used later in trial.
- division: refers to the victim services division of the Indiana criminal justice institute. See Indiana Code 5-2-6.1-2
- Grand jury: agreement providing that a lender will delay exercising its rights (in the case of a mortgage,
- identity theft: means :
Indiana Code 35-40-14-1
- Indictment: The formal charge issued by a grand jury stating that there is enough evidence that the defendant committed the crime to justify having a trial; it is used primarily for felonies.
- institute: means the Indiana criminal justice institute established by IC 5-2-6. See Indiana Code 5-2-6.1-4
- intoxicated: has the meaning set forth in IC 9-13-2-86. See Indiana Code 5-2-6.1-5
- Misdemeanor: Usually a petty offense, a less serious crime than a felony, punishable by less than a year of confinement.
- motor vehicle: has the meaning set forth in IC 7. See Indiana Code 5-2-6.1-5.5
- person: includes a sole proprietorship, a partnership, a corporation, an association, a fiduciary, and an individual. See Indiana Code 5-2-6.1-6
- Preliminary hearing: A hearing where the judge decides whether there is enough evidence to make the defendant have a trial.
- Presentence report: A report prepared by a court's probation officer, after a person has been convicted of an offense, summarizing for the court the background information needed to determine the appropriate sentence. Source: U.S. Courts
- Probation: A sentencing alternative to imprisonment in which the court releases convicted defendants under supervision as long as certain conditions are observed.
- Reporter: Makes a record of court proceedings and prepares a transcript, and also publishes the court's opinions or decisions (in the courts of appeals).
- Restitution: The court-ordered payment of money by the defendant to the victim for damages caused by the criminal action.
- terrorist act: means an act that:
Indiana Code 5-2-6.1-6.7
- unit: refers to the identity theft unit established under IC 4-6-13-2. See Indiana Code 35-40-14-2
- victim: means an individual who suffers bodily injury or death as a result of a violent crime. See Indiana Code 5-2-6.1-7
- Victim Impact Statement: A written or spoken statement by the victim or his or her representative about the physical, emotional, and financial impact of a crime on the victim. The statement is given to the court before sentencing.
- victim of a child sex crime: means an individual who was the victim of:
Indiana Code 5-2-6.1-7.5
- violent crime: means the following:
Indiana Code 5-2-6.1-8