Terms Used In Indiana Code > Title 35 > Article 40.5
- Attorney: includes a counselor or other person authorized to appear and represent a party in an action or special proceeding. See Indiana Code 1-1-4-5
- claimant: means a victim filing an application for assistance under this chapter. See Indiana Code 5-2-6.1-1
- Conviction: A judgement of guilt against a criminal defendant.
- Corporation: A legal entity owned by the holders of shares of stock that have been issued, and that can own, receive, and transfer property, and carry on business in its own name.
- Defendant: In a civil suit, the person complained against; in a criminal case, the person accused of the crime.
- Dependent: A person dependent for support upon another.
- division: refers to the victim services division of the Indiana criminal justice institute. See Indiana Code 5-2-6.1-2
- emergency shelter care: means housing in a facility having the primary purpose of providing temporary or transitional shelter for the homeless or for a specific population of the homeless. See Indiana Code 5-2-6.1-2.5
- Evidence: Information presented in testimony or in documents that is used to persuade the fact finder (judge or jury) to decide the case for one side or the other.
- Guardian: A person legally empowered and charged with the duty of taking care of and managing the property of another person who because of age, intellect, or health, is incapable of managing his (her) own affairs.
- out-of-pocket loss: means an amount equal to the amount of reimbursement payable under IC 27-8-10-3 for each of the types of services and items provided to a victim as a result of the bodily injury or death upon which an application is based. See Indiana Code 5-2-6.1-5.7
- person: includes a sole proprietorship, a partnership, a corporation, an association, a fiduciary, and an individual. See Indiana Code 5-2-6.1-6
- victim: means an individual who suffers bodily injury or death as a result of a violent crime. See Indiana Code 5-2-6.1-7
- Victim advocate: work with prosecutors and assist the victims of a crime.
- violent crime: means the following:
Indiana Code 5-2-6.1-8