1. All funds held by the following officers or institutions shall be deposited in one or more depositories first approved by the appropriate governing body as indicated: for the treasurer of state, by the executive council; for judicial officers and court employees, by the supreme court; for the county treasurer, recorder, auditor, and sheriff, by the board of supervisors; for the city treasurer or other designated financial officer of a city, by the city council; for the county public hospital or merged area hospital, by the board of hospital trustees; for a memorial hospital, by the memorial hospital commission; for a school corporation, by the board of school directors; for a city utility or combined utility system established under chapter 388, by the utility board; and for an electric power agency as defined in section 28F.2 or390.9, by the governing body of the electric power agency. However, the treasurer of state and the treasurer of each political subdivision or the designated financial officer of a city shall invest all funds not needed for current operating expenses in time certificates of deposit in approved depositories pursuant to this chapter or in investments permitted by section 12B.10. The list of public depositories and the amounts severally deposited in the depositories are matters of public record. This subsection does not limit the definition of “public funds” contained in subsection 2. Notwithstanding provisions of this section to the contrary, public funds of a state government deferred compensation plan established by the executive council may also be invested in the investment products authorized under section 509A.12.
Terms Used In Iowa Code 12C.1
- following: when used by way of reference to a chapter or other part of a statute mean the next preceding or next following chapter or other part. See Iowa Code 4.1
- person: means individual, corporation, limited liability company, government or governmental subdivision or agency, business trust, estate, trust, partnership or association, or any other legal entity. See Iowa Code 4.1
- state: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the territories, and the words "United States" may include the said district and territories. See Iowa Code 4.1
- United States: includes all the states. See Iowa Code 4.1
2. As used in this chapter unless the context otherwise requires:
a. “Bank” means a corporation or limited liability company engaged in the business of banking and organized under the laws of this state, another state, or the United States. “Bank” also means a savings and loan, savings association, or savings bank organized under the laws of another state or the United States.
b. “Credit union” means a cooperative, nonprofit association incorporated under chapter 533 or the federal Credit Union Act, 12 U.S.C. §1751 et seq., and that is insured by the national credit union administration and includes an office of a credit union.
c. “Depository” means a bank or a credit union in which public funds are deposited under this chapter.
d. “Financial institution” means a bank or a credit union.
e. “Public funds” and “public deposits” mean any of the following:
(1) The moneys of the state or a political subdivision or instrumentality of the state including a county, school corporation, special district, drainage district, unincorporated town or township, municipality, or municipal corporation or any agency, board, or commission of the state or a political subdivision. Moneys of the state include moneys which are transmitted to a depositary for purposes of completing an electronic financial transaction pursuant to section 159.35.
(2) The moneys of any court or public body noted in subsection 1.
(3) The moneys of a legal or administrative entity created pursuant to chapter 28E.
(5) Federal and state grant moneys of a quasi-public state entity that are placed in a depository pursuant to this chapter.
f. “Public officer” means the person authorized by and acting for a public body to deposit public funds of the public body.
g. “Superintendent” means the superintendent of banking of this state when the depository is a bank, and the superintendent of credit unions of this state when the depository is a credit union.
h. “Uninsured public funds” means any amount of public funds of a public funds depositor on deposit in an account at a financial institution that exceeds the amount of public funds in that account that are insured by the federal deposit insurance corporation or the national credit union administration.
3. A deposit of public funds in a depository pursuant to this chapter shall be secured as follows:
a. If a depository is a credit union, then public deposits in the credit union shall be secured pursuant to sections 12C.16 through 12C.19 and sections 12C.23 and 12C.24.
4. Ambiguities in the application of this section shall be resolved in favor of preventing the loss of public funds on deposit in a depository.