1. The purpose of this chapter is to establish a comprehensive partnership among the general assembly, the executive branch, communities, and the people of Iowa in addressing the prevalence of tobacco use in the state.
Terms Used In Iowa Code 142A.1
- Initiative: means the comprehensive tobacco use prevention and control initiative established in this chapter. See Iowa Code 142A.2
- Partnership: A voluntary contract between two or more persons to pool some or all of their assets into a business, with the agreement that there will be a proportional sharing of profits and losses.
- state: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the territories, and the words "United States" may include the said district and territories. See Iowa Code 4.1
- Tobacco: means both cigarettes and tobacco products as defined in section 453A. See Iowa Code 142A.2
- Youth: means a person who is five through twenty-four years of age. See Iowa Code 142A.2
2. It is the intent of the general assembly that the comprehensive tobacco use prevention and control initiative established in this chapter will specifically address reduction of tobacco use by youth and pregnant women and enhancement of the capacity of youth to make healthy choices. The initiative shall allow extensive involvement of youth in attaining these results.
3. It is also the intent of the general assembly that the comprehensive tobacco use prevention and control initiative will foster a social and legal climate in which tobacco use becomes undesirable and unacceptable, in which role models and those who influence youth promote healthy social norms and demonstrate behavior that counteracts the glamorization of tobacco use, and in which tobacco becomes less accessible to youth. The intent of the general assembly shall be accomplished by engaging all who are affected by the use of tobacco in the state, including smokers and nonsmokers, youth, and adults.