As used in this chapter:
1. “Animal” means a nonhuman vertebrate. However, “animal” does not include any of the following:
a. Livestock, as defined in section 717.1.
b. Any game, fur-bearing animal, fish, reptile, or amphibian, as defined in section 481A.1, unless a person owns, confines, or controls the game, fur-bearing animal, fish, reptile, or amphibian.
c. Any nongame species declared to be a nuisance pursuant to section 481A.42.
Terms Used In Iowa Code 717B.1
- Animal: means a nonhuman vertebrate. See Iowa Code 717B.1
- following: when used by way of reference to a chapter or other part of a statute mean the next preceding or next following chapter or other part. See Iowa Code 4.1
- Local authority: means a city as defined in section 362. See Iowa Code 717B.1
- person: means individual, corporation, limited liability company, government or governmental subdivision or agency, business trust, estate, trust, partnership or association, or any other legal entity. See Iowa Code 4.1
- state: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the territories, and the words "United States" may include the said district and territories. See Iowa Code 4.1
2. “Animal care provider” means a person designated by a local authority to provide care to an animal which is rescued by the local authority pursuant to section 717B.5.
3. Unless the context otherwise requires, “book”, “list”, “record”, or “schedule” kept by a county auditor, assessor, treasurer, recorder, sheriff, or other county officer means the county system as defined in section 445.1.
4. “Dispositional expenses” means expenses incurred by a local authority in rescuing an animal as provided in section 717B.5, maintaining the animal until the conclusion of a dispositional proceeding as provided in section 717B.4, or disposing of the animal as provided in section 717B.4.
5. “Law enforcement officer” means a regularly employed member of a police force of a city or county, including a sheriff, who is responsible for the prevention and detection of crime and the enforcement of the criminal laws of this state.
6. “Local authority” means a city as defined in section 362.2 or a county as provided in chapter 331.
7. “Maintenance” means to provide on-site or off-site care to neglected animals.
8. “Responsible party” means a person who owns or maintains an animal.