Terms Used In Iowa Code 8.33
- Appropriation: The provision of funds, through an annual appropriations act or a permanent law, for federal agencies to make payments out of the Treasury for specified purposes. The formal federal spending process consists of two sequential steps: authorization
- Fiscal year: The fiscal year is the accounting period for the government. For the federal government, this begins on October 1 and ends on September 30. The fiscal year is designated by the calendar year in which it ends; for example, fiscal year 2006 begins on October 1, 2005 and ends on September 30, 2006.
- following: when used by way of reference to a chapter or other part of a statute mean the next preceding or next following chapter or other part. See Iowa Code 4.1
- Obligation: An order placed, contract awarded, service received, or similar transaction during a given period that will require payments during the same or a future period.
- state: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the territories, and the words "United States" may include the said district and territories. See Iowa Code 4.1
- year: means twelve consecutive months. See Iowa Code 4.1
No obligation of any kind shall be incurred or created subsequent to the last day of the fiscal year for which an appropriation is made, except when specific provision otherwise is made in the Act making the appropriation. On August 31, or as otherwise provided in an appropriation Act, following the close of each fiscal year, all unencumbered or unobligated balances of appropriations made for that fiscal term revert to the state treasury and to the credit of the funds from which the appropriations were made, except that capital expenditures for the purchase of land or the erection of buildings or new construction continue in force until the attainment of the object or the completion of the work for which the appropriations were made unless the Act making an appropriation for the capital expenditure contains a specific provision relating to a time limit for incurring an obligation or reversion of funds. This section does not repeal sections 7D.11 through 7D.14.
No payment of an obligation for goods and services shall be charged to an appropriation subsequent to the last day of the fiscal year for which the appropriation is made unless the goods or services are received on or before the last day of the fiscal year, except that repair projects, purchase of specialized equipment and furnishings, and other contracts for services and capital expenditures for the purchase of land or the erection of buildings or new construction or remodeling, which were committed and in progress prior to the end of the fiscal year are excluded from this provision.