1. If a person comes into this state in obedience to an order directing the person to attend and testify in this state, the person shall not while in this state pursuant to such order be subject to arrest or the service of process, civil or criminal, in connection with matters which arose before the person’s entrance into this state under the order.
Terms Used In Iowa Code 819.4
- Arrest: Taking physical custody of a person by lawful authority.
- person: means individual, corporation, limited liability company, government or governmental subdivision or agency, business trust, estate, trust, partnership or association, or any other legal entity. See Iowa Code 4.1
- Service of process: The service of writs or summonses to the appropriate party.
- state: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the territories, and the words "United States" may include the said district and territories. See Iowa Code 4.1
- Testify: Answer questions in court.
2. If a person passes through this state while going to another state in obedience to an order to attend and testify in that state or while returning therefrom, the person shall not while so passing through this state be subject to arrest or the service of process, civil or criminal, in connection with matters which arose before the person’s entrance into this state pursuant to the order to testify.