1. A boiler and pressure vessel board is created within the division of labor services of the department of workforce development to formulate definitions and rules requirements for the safe and proper installation, repair, maintenance, alteration, use, and operation of boilers and pressure vessels in this state.
Terms Used In Iowa Code 89.14
- following: when used by way of reference to a chapter or other part of a statute mean the next preceding or next following chapter or other part. See Iowa Code 4.1
- Quorum: The number of legislators that must be present to do business.
- state: when applied to the different parts of the United States, includes the District of Columbia and the territories, and the words "United States" may include the said district and territories. See Iowa Code 4.1
2. The boiler and pressure vessel board is composed of nine members as follows:
a. The commissioner or the commissioner’s designee.
b. The following eight members who shall be appointed by the governor, subject to confirmation by the senate, to four-year staggered terms beginning and ending as provided in section 69.19.
(1) One member shall be a special inspector who is employed by an insurance company that is licensed and actively writing boiler and machinery insurance in this state and who is commissioned to inspect boiler and pressure vessels in this state.
(2) One member shall be appointed from a certified employee organization and shall represent steamfitters.
(3) One member shall be appointed from a certified employee organization and shall represent boilermakers.
(4) Two members shall be mechanical engineers who regularly practice in the area of boilers and pressure vessels.
(5) One member shall be a boiler and pressure vessel distributor in this state.
(6) One member shall represent boiler and pressure vessel manufacturers.
(7) One member shall be a mechanical contractor engaged in the business of installation, renovation, and repair of boilers and pressure vessels.
3. A vacancy in membership shall be filled in the same manner as the original appointment. The members shall serve without compensation, but shall be reimbursed for actual and necessary expenses incurred in the performance of official duties as a member.
4. The members of the board shall select a chairperson, vice chairperson, and secretary from their membership. However, neither the commissioner nor the commissioner’s designee shall serve as chairperson. The board shall meet at least quarterly but may meet as often as necessary. Meetings shall be set by a majority of the board or upon the call of the chairperson, or in the chairperson’s absence, upon the call of the vice chairperson. A majority of the board members shall constitute a quorum.
5. The board shall adopt rules pursuant to chapter 17A necessary to administer the duties of the board. Rules adopted by the board shall be in accordance with accepted engineering standards and practices. The board shall adopt rules relating to the equipment covered by this chapter that are in accordance with the ASME code, which may include addenda, interpretations, and code cases, as soon as reasonably practical following publication by the American society of mechanical engineers. The board shall adopt rules to require that operation of equipment cease in the event of imminent danger.
6. A notice of defect or inspection report issued by the commissioner pursuant to this chapter may, within thirty days after the making of the order, be appealed to the board. Board action constitutes final agency action for purposes of chapter 17A.
7. Not later than July 1, 2005, and every three years thereafter, the board shall conduct a comprehensive review of existing boiler rules, regulations, and standards, including but not limited to those relating to potable hot water supply boilers and water heaters.
8. The board shall establish fees for examinations, inspections, annual statements, shop inspections, and other services. The fees shall reflect the actual costs and expenses necessary to operate the board and perform the duties of the commissioner.
9. The board may adopt rules governing the conversion of power boilers to low pressure boilers.